Use different Wallpaper for Whonix-Gateway to distinguish from Whonix-Workstation

We need a proper hook that is executed when desktop finished loading or some way to test until desktop finished and wait for that.

This is also why a command execution way of changing things is inferior of the proper config file drop-in method.

Hacky. Would have to be not be included as Depends: in anon-meta-packages during build time, later added there, updated package uploaded. Users would start with the default wallpaper which then gets changed after update. Then also “the update changed my wallpaper” questions.

I am trying hard to avoid hacks. Since these pile up and then when someone asks me in a year why such a mess was created, it gets hard to remember.

We could probably use /etc/xdg/autostart to run a hook. Then wait until the desktop is ready. Or re-rerun the command, checking the exit code until it works (and giving up anyhow after reasonable amount of time).

That’s not great either, but systemd is not yet capable to replace /etc/xdg/autostart, figured that out here:
https://phabricator.whonix.org/T424

Just now documented here Dev/About Debian Packaging - Kicksecure. Do these reasons sound convincing?

2 Likes

Yes :slight_smile:

2 Likes