Tor-launcher - Better Circumvention User Interface

I don’t know how helpful it is but here is a post about running application.ini standalone with xvfb, defining a window size for the addon (so it can be seen). Xulrunner is dead but the same can be done with “firefox -app”. We can wrap TBB on GW with another script that runs it under xvfb with window size 0:

http://techno-barje.fr/post/2009/09/30/Headless-xulrunner/

I’m not sure it will work because this presupposes that torlauncher has working standalone support but it doesn’t. I would be surprised if it works its too easy :slight_smile:

xvfb would have to discriminate the browser window vs the tor-launcher window. Since tor-launcher is started by Tor Browser, starting Tor Browser hidden will never show the tor-launcher window. It doesn’t look like it has such a feature.

firefox / iceweasel --app has been discussed before in this thread.

No, tor-launcher has no working standalone support. If it had, we wouldn’t need xvfb.

This could be either implemented using javascript patches or xvfb.

xvfb would have to discriminate the browser window vs the tor-launcher window. Since tor-launcher is started by Tor Browser, starting Tor Browser hidden will never show the tor-launcher window. It doesn't look like it has such a feature.

True.

I’ll discuss our choices and the tradeoffs we can make with the situation now in T118.

headless, unattended TBB updates [by script]

[tbb-dev] future of tor-launcher? - Firefox XPCOM / XUL based add-ons deprecation
[tbb-dev] future of tor-launcher? - Firefox XPCOM / XUL based add-ons deprecation

Investigate new WebExtensions API requirements for our extensions

Instructions for using Tor shipped by Tor Browser on Whonix-Gateway.

On Whonix-Gateway.

Disable apparmor for Tor Browser as we want to to access /etc/tor/torrc.

sudo aa-disable /etc/apparmor.d/home.tor-browser.firefox

Install tb-updater.

sudo apt --no-install-recommends install tb-updater

Login as user debian-tor.

sudo -u debian-tor bash

Change to the homer folder of debian-tor.

cd /var/lib/tor

Download Tor Browser.

update-torbrowser

Tor Browser will be installed in folder /var/lib/tor/.tb/tor-browser by now.

Go to another terminal emulator tab owned so it will use login user user. Stop system Tor. This is required so Tor shipped by Tor Browser can be used.

sudo systemctl stop tor@default

Go back to a terminal emulator running with login user debian-tor. Change directolry to the Tor Browser folder.

cd ~/.tb/tor-browser/

Start Tor Browser.

./start-tor-browser.desktop --debug

Here I am stuck. I tried to edit both files

• ./Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Tor/torrc-defaults
  • ./Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Tor/torrc

To add at the very top of the file:

%include /etc/tor/torrc

The idea was simply load the Whonix Tor configuration so all SocksPorts etc. that Whonix configured gets load as usual. In theory, Tor shipped by Tor Browser at that point would be in use as system Tor.

In practice somehow only Tor Browser default SocksPorts are opened. Maybe tor-launcher configures that.

Or not. Seems like Tor is doing that even when told to ignore all Tor Browser folder torrc settings files.

debian-tor@host:~/.tb/tor-browser$ ./Browser/TorBrowser/Tor/tor -f /etc/tor/torrc

Sep 21 06:30:11.450 [notice] Tor 0.4.1.5 (git-439ca48989ece545) running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.8-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.1c, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma N/A, and Libzstd N/A.
Sep 21 06:30:11.450 [notice] Tor can’t help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at Tor Project | Download
Sep 21 06:30:11.450 [notice] Read configuration file “/etc/tor/torrc”.
Sep 21 06:30:11.456 [notice] Included configuration file or directory at recursion level 2: “/usr/local/etc/torrc.d/40_tor_control_panel.conf”.
Sep 21 06:30:11.456 [notice] Included configuration file or directory at recursion level 2: “/usr/local/etc/torrc.d/50_user.conf”.
Sep 21 06:30:11.456 [notice] Included configuration file or directory at recursion level 1: “/etc/torrc.d/95_whonix.conf”.
Sep 21 06:30:11.457 [notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Sep 21 06:30:11.457 [notice] Opened Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050