Tor circuit issues

Hello, I an long times Whonix user love the platform and the layout/execution. Just wanted to thank Patrick and the rest of the Whonix team for the hard work you do!

I have noticed an issue the past couple days regarding Tor. Everytime I start Tor on the Gateway, I get a log message stating that “guard is failing at an extremely large amount of circuits…” When viewed on Nix or Onion Circuits, you can see the circuits is being built and failing almost immediately in real time.

To be fair I try a couple different bridges and guard and they all behaved similarly with circuits failing. Also on the Debian Buster host, the Tor Browser gave same log messages. my connection is fine and there is no issue on Firefox esr

I do not believe this to be a Whonix issue because it happened outside of Whonix also. Has anyone else notice this?

Yes I’m noticing it on some of my devices. Even with nodes run by trusted volunteers. It’s simply the network being overloaded for some reason. Try asking the Tor people what’s going - if the network is being attacked or something.

4 Likes

There was a bunch of DDoS attacks a while ago on popular onion sites like Dread. There might be more happening that’s taking up a lot of bandwidth.

2 Likes

@HulaHoop and @madaidan

thank you for the replies; I have let the Tor people know

my initial thought ist either an overburdened network or perhaps a DDoS. I am reassured that other people have noticed it

I have kept up with Tor’s blog and mailing list so hopefully soon there will be solution

1 Like