[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [Priority Support]

TODO research and document - How to use Tor Browser for security not anonymity? How to use TBB using clearnet?

These three prefs are all that is needed.

user_pref("network.proxy.socks_remote_dns", false);
user_pref("extensions.torlauncher.start_tor", false);
user_pref("network.proxy.type", 0);

The only issue is system-tor is running in the background. Well maybe not an issue but some (most?) users would expect Tor to be completely disabled. This should be mentioned in the documentation

Awesome!

If we use tb-updater, system Tor (debian tor package) should not be installed by either tb-updater (tor is not a dependency) nor any of our instructions. I don’t understand the issue yet.

System Tor not being required can be documented for sure.

Should have clarified was referring to wiki instructions. Looks like i had previously installed Tor (debian) for something else. So not related to this topic. My bad.

For some reason the user.prefs I was intending to use in the tb-updater file no longer stay persistent. Its possible this has to do with the update to Tor Browser 8.0.6?

• The newly configured VMs with TB 8.0.6 do not toggle the about:config prefs to reflect the user.pref file.

about:config

network.proxy.socks_remote_dns true
    network.proxy.type 1

• All the VM configured which originaly used TB 8.0.5 and then were updated to 8.0.6 still work.

about:config

network.proxy.socks_remote_dns false
    network.proxy.type 0

I check the new TB release, changelog etc. and nothing jumped out at me that would would do this. I’ll keep going on this. There has to be a reason why these no longer work. Or find a different way.

If it’s just about network settings we could have /usr/bin/torbrowser conditionally when some clearnet config settings is set configure environment variable TOR_TRANSPROXY=1.

(Similar to https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tor_Browser/Advanced_Users#Remove_Proxy_Settings.)

To manually test:

TOR_TRANSPROXY=1 torbrowser