Thunderbird + hidden email service.

Hi All!

Please shed some light on two simple questions which I cannot find answers myself:

1. I have an email account at a clearnet service which also allows to connect to their email service using hidden onion address. Would it add more security if I add to the Thunderbird email config an onion address instead of clearnet address as the the server address? Does it mean that all traffic will stay within the tor network only?

2. Does the hidden onion service operator can uncover my IP address if I use a tor browser or Thunderbird email client. I found some articles which state that hidden service operator may trace IP connections by modifying tor software installed on the hidden service.

Many thanks!

Hi mahavo

Would it add more security if I add to the Thunderbird email config an onion address instead of clearnet address as the the server address?

This thread has lots of great info. Should answer a most of your questions.

Does it mean that all traffic will stay within the tor network only?

Yes.

Does the hidden onion service operator can uncover my IP address if I use a tor browser or Thunderbird email client.

There are attacks that can de-anonymize Tor users.

I found some articles which state that hidden service operator may trace IP connections by modifying tor software installed on the hidden service.

Could you please provide a link to the articles