Test Tor Internet Connectivity chapter / whonixcheck

Referring to:

Wondering, why not use whonixcheck?

It is supposed to be useful exactly for this situation by running several related connectivity check (Tor pid running, Tor bootstrapped, check.torproject.org connectivity test, etc.):
systemcheck - Security Check Application

If it’s missing something or it’s output is not useful enough, I’d improve it.

After leak testing is done, we should also remove the warning against unsupported virtualizer:
https://github.com/Whonix/whonixcheck/blob/master/usr/lib/whonixcheck/check_virtualizer#L24

A trivial change I could do. For that purpose, please run.

sudo virt-what

Inside a Qubes VM and tell me the result.

However, the stop whonixcheck feature on unsupported virtualizer feature can be disabled. It documents itself, whonixcheck will tell how to do so in case.

[quote=“Patrick, post:1, topic:460”]Referring to:

Wondering, why not use whonixcheck?

It is supposed to be useful exactly for this situation by running several related connectivity check (Tor pid running, Tor bootstrapped, check.torproject.org connectivity test, etc.):
systemcheck - Security Check Application

If it’s missing something or it’s output is not useful enough, I’d improve it.[/quote]

I would like to use whonixcheck instead. I didn’t use it yet, partly due to the mindset of wanting to get some working instructions published first and do optimizations later, also, as you mentioned, whonixcheck is blocked from working out of the box with Qubes/Xen, and currently requires an extra change to enable it first. So I’m certainly not opposed to whonixcheck. More was just a mindset of getting directly through the step right away, without barriers, when I wrote it.

[quote=“Patrick, post:1, topic:460”]After leak testing is done, we should also remove the warning against unsupported virtualizer:
https://github.com/Whonix/whonixcheck/blob/master/usr/lib/whonixcheck/check_virtualizer#L24

A trivial change I could do. For that purpose, please run.

sudo virt-what

Inside a Qubes VM and tell me the result.[/quote]

Yes. This would be nice to have removed for Qubes + Whonix 9.

The “sudo virt-what” command returns the following two lines:

hyperv
xen

Yes. I was thinking people may choose to follow that warning themselves with this current blocked whonixcheck config.

Now that Qubes + Whonix seems to be really happening and moving forward, I’m sure there will be a number of tweaks and optimizations that come to light for us. Looking forward to making numerous improvements like this!

I see. :slight_smile: Sounds good. :slight_smile:

whonixcheck: check_virtualizer, no longer warn if Qubes (Qubes-Whonix ™ Overview) is detected; improved output, improved html tags:
https://github.com/Whonix/whonixcheck/commit/6bf5a08e88d83b3728ebc1dd87e5e43ef0a1871f

(It’s not tested in actual Qubes, but during testing I used a fake virt-what that echoed the two lines you told me as virt-what should do, so I think it should work.)

Thanks Patrick! :slight_smile:

Depending upon the Whonix 9 release timeframe, I may be able to get around to building pre-9 source on my Qubes machine in order to test things out.

We’re getting quite close. There will be at least one release candidate before.