tb-updater update required to download Tor Browser 11.5

The tb-updater cannot download the Tor Browser 11.5 in a fully upgraded Whonix-16-workstation :

(Debugging information: curl_status_message: [81] - [curl-scripts curl-prgs (not curl!) reports: Endless data attack triggered.])

This is because the file size exceeds the 100MB CURL_PRGRS_MAX_FILE_SIZE_BYTES limit that tb-updater sets for curl to prevent endless-data attack.

I noticed that pgerber already fixed it two weeks ago by increasing the size limit to 200MB: Increase Tor Browser size limit to 200 MiB · Kicksecure/tb-updater@17ef6a6 · GitHub, but somehow the change is not available to the users yet.

Do you know when it will be available to users?

I also want to take this opportunity to thank @Patrick and all the other Whonix developers and contributors’ years of continuous efforts into this project. I love you all!

1 Like

Welcome back!

Should already be the case:

Investigating…

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are right. I didn’t fully upgrade it. Somehow a lot of packets were kept back:

The following packages have been kept back:
  kicksecure-dependencies-cli open-link-confirmation qubes-whonix-workstation setup-wizard-dist systemcheck tb-starter tb-updater
  whonix-shared-default-applications-gui whonix-shared-packages-dependencies-cli whonix-workstation-packages-dependencies-cli
  whonix-workstation-shared-packages-shared-meta
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.

I confirm that the problem has been fixed by explicitly upgrading tb-updater:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install tb-updater
1 Like

That’s always an issue. Related:

If you like to fix it, please open a separate support forum thread for this.

1 Like