[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [DONATE]

Tails-Whonix: It's doable, here's how. Can we offer it as a variant like Qubes-Whonix?

I for one am glad you are keeping at it. I am excited to try it out.

In the meantime, I have been trying to get virtualbox working in tails as per the instructions in your first post and I’m running into an issue I thought perhaps you could help me with. I am new to tails so sorry if this is super noobish.

Output of uname -r is: 4.19.0-4-amd64

When trying to install the linux headers package following your instructions " “apt-get update; apt-get install make; apt-get install -y -t sid linux-headers-$(uname -r)” , I get the following output:

E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.19.0-4-amd64
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob ‘linux-headers-4.19.0-4-amd64’
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘linux-headers-4.19.0-4-amd64’

apt search linux-headers” reveals there indeed isn’t a package available matching 4.19.0.4-amd64 kernel.

There is a package available for 4.19.0-5, and 4.19.0.0. What are you doing currently to get around this? Thanks in advance.

@Briar: Yes, that problem only came up a few days ago. Certain linux-headers package versions suddenly weren’t in the Debian repos, and we need to investigate as to why and how we may get around such an issue in the future. (Hopefully it’s an issue that affected thousands of users for many linux-headers use cases, not just ours. Or, maybe the issue is with Tails not using an up-to-date enough version of the linux kernel as it ought to.) We’ll get to the bottom of it.

It suddenly broke our script (at least for new users who need to download the packages for the first run before the script caches all packages for offline use thereafter), but as of Today’s Tails 3.14 update the system uses a linux-headers package that is back in the repos, so it’s working again. Clearly not reliable enough - we won’t release the script unless it’s resolved in future.

Also, the code I have that you’re trying is woefully primitive compared to what the script is (and does and fixes) now. I’m glad you can my test proof of concept, but that’s all that code is.

To respect my friend and for a lot of reasons, I won’t respond to any requests to test the code until I indicate otherwise.

Thanks for the positive feedback. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@AnonymousUser Thanks for the resoponse, much appreciated. I’ll try out the new Tails 3.14 today.

Quick comment: the development work that my friend and I are doing via our script to stably run Whonix in an amnesic environment will clearly help the Whonix project (in the effort to create a ‘whonix host’ system), irregardless of whether one’s amnesic Debian-based host OS is Tails or your own built one.

What we’re solving (and documenting in code) will be helpful for ANYONE trying to run VirtualBox Whonix in an amnesic environment. (The whole scenario is completely different to a static host, and you need intelligent scripting if it’s to be convenient in any way shape or form.)

It’s going well, and we’re ironing out dozens of bugs and issues at this early stage…

So I hope that counts for something.

Another update: our one-click script to run Whonix on Tails smoothly and painlessly (usable by n00bs) is becoming quite mature now. My colleague has done incredible work. I’m basically just the messenger!

It now allows you to add one-click functionality to install and launch your own binaries with corresponding Dotfiles inserted into the Tails live system, so you can use your Whonix with any customizations that you normally would in a non-amnesic host OS, and again, with all these customizations able to safely stored inside a VeraCrypt volume if you want.

After the first script run, all packages and apt info is cached offline by the script so that you can then use your Whonix in Tails fully offline and only takes about 2 minutes to launch VirtualBox with a single click inside Tails.

We might release it by new year’s.

I’m sorry I haven’t contributed to Whonix directly in the meantime, but that’s life.

Happy greetings to you all.

Any news? hope the project is being released soon!

Not really. I just test the code. I can share here when the time comes but I honestly have no idea when they want to release it.

Is there anyway I could get copies of the current script ahead of release? I’d like to experiment with this.

I’ll ask the head developer and see what they say. You’d have to provide an email of some kind or a way that I can privately share it with you.

Why make a secret of it? If it’s going to be Freedom Software anyhow just keep pushing git commits to git servers (github, gitlab, …) as these are created. Release, announcement, outreach, user support can be done whenever ready. That’s more in spirit of Freedom Software.

Keep private, why? Build anticipation, private beta, big release splash of “perfect” version for maximum impact? A sophisticated marketing strategy?

Don’t get me wrong. You can use any development / release model as desired. That’s really ok. Just wondering.

1 Like

I don’t have a clue and I actually totally agree with you @Patrick, I think they’re just preparing for being ready to have lots of people test the code.

I have not heard back from developer yet, thanks for your interest @anon7771.

I’m pretty excited about it because I’ve been using it for a while and it works amazingly (given the security it provides). I’m probably one of the most ‘private’ computer users in the world right now. That may be a silly thing to say, but it’s how it feels.

Once it’s out for public testing I will certainly advocate for it and try to improve it like I do here with Whonix and also occasionally with Tails.

But I’m not the coder of it anymore. It’s now in other people’s much more capable hands.

OK @anon7771 check your inbox. I have the blessing from the head guy to share it to individuals in private for now.

Hi Anon, would you mind sharing with me also for testing plz? tjbanshee88@protonmail.com

OK, done.

Thanks Anon :slight_smile:

@AnonymousUser hey, could you send me too? liudasv@protonmail.com

has anyone had good results with the test runs on this?

OK, sent.

@tempest It works really great at my end. A couple others have reported to me it works great too. Many bugs have been ironed out by now, a lot of work has gone into it. I’ve now been using Whonix on Tails for months as my primary and sole Whonixing method.

1 Like

i’m looking forward to the public release.

1 Like

Indeed! I will definitely want to try this out as well.

1 Like
[Imprint] [Privacy Policy] [Cookie Policy] [Terms of Use] [E-Sign Consent] [DMCA] [Investors] [Priority Support] [Professional Support]