Something really simple

Im operating an imac and I want to move Whonix and whatever other nesecessary files that are needed in order to operate it, to a volume in my truecrypt container. I don’t want whonix to appear on my host machine. I want to be able to open my volume and discretely operate whonix from there. How can i do this? I’m a noob so please keep it in lameins terms so I can understand. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hide from whom? From anyone skilled, no way.

Use full disk encryption:

Much easier. Much harder to forget encrypting anything.

See also:

See also:

There is very little Whonix specificness in this question. Ask yourself, how would you do it with an arbitrary virtual machine. Whom could you ask then. By reframing the question, you can get access to a much bigger community.

[quote=“Patrick, post:2, topic:1043”]Hide from whom? From anyone skilled, no way.

Use full disk encryption:

Much easier. Much harder to forget encrypting anything.

See also:

See also:

There is very little Whonix specificness in this question. Ask yourself, how would you do it with an arbitrary virtual machine. Whom could you ask then. By reframing the question, you can get access to a much bigger community.[/quote]

Patrick, Im new to all this man. Im trying to be as specific as I can. I havent really learned all the terminology affiliated with security so im just trying to say what im trying to accomplish. I read everything that you directed me to. It was good information but I still dont know how to accomplish what im trying to do. My truecrypt container is encrypted already, so can i just somehow install whonix onto it and operate it from my mounted volume? I just dont want it to be readily accessible on my host machine. Did i explain any better this time? :-\

You explanation was sufficient before. My answer is still the same.

Yes, but that simply does not directly address the problem that i am having. I downloaded and moved the whonix files to my hidden volume and imported them into VB from there but it did no good. I can still unmount the volume and whonix will still operate through VB on my host. When i close my hidden volume I dont want whonix to be operable.

I know it’s a very non-perfect answer and requires a lot work on your side, but sorry to say, it’s all that I can offer. Unfortunately, there is too little time in a project at this size for me to re-create your setup on my machine so I could come up with a step-by-step laymans guide.

You run Whonix in the VirtualBox. That also means that the whole system runs in my RAM. It doesn’t matter if I unmount the Container where the original Files are.
Whonix needs the Files only when it boots up.

So whats the resolution to this? Are you telling me that anyone who accesses my computer can just freely open VB…start Whonix…and see everything that Ive been doing? Im going through hell getting my security set up properly… and this just doesnt make sense to me.

Thanks for trying to help though.

The canonical way is:

• use full disk encryption - an effective password protection at boot screen where the whole disk (except a small boot partition that does not contain private data) is encrypted
  • don’t use container based encryption - at least not for this use case - it’s too difficult to get it right (container based encryption is okay if you want to travel with data, but your system should still use full disk encryption)
  • don’t let anyone else use your computer
  • power off your computer when you leave it
  • when someone steals your computer, when it’s powered off, your data will be save
  • when someone manipulates your computer when you’re away and when it’s powered off, you won’t be save (called evil maid attack)

its like u r blaming Tor browser for not protecting ur privacy&anonymity because u have a keylogger in ur system ?!

whonix doesnt protect host OS, and also whonix not only work in the virtualbox (which is even recommended against if u were asking me to use that for the anonymity purposes). u can use whonix+qubes OS , and encrypt ur hard-disk with a good password.(and there are many alternatives to what i have said on the internet)

if u like fedora similar distro as host OS pls visit this site:-

• to secure ur host OS if u like debian:-

read also this advise:-

Is Debian more secure than X?

A system is only as secure as its administrator is capable of making it. Debian’s default installation of services aims to be secure, but may not be as paranoid as some other operating systems which install all services disabled by default.

hope that helps