[Solved] higher resolution problem

I reviewed the higher wiki/Higher_Screen_Resolution page and made the xorg.conf.d/00-virtualbox-monitor.conf (first the dir, then the file) and copy pasted from the wiki page into the 00-virtualbox-monitor.conf changing only the Option “PreferredMode” “1600x1200” line to the resolution that I wanted then rebooted but no change so I wanted to check what things I might be doing wrong (i did this in whonix not the host OS i assume). When i rebooted it booted a command prompt and not into xwin/kde, not sure why. I know if in the gateway if i lower the mem in virtbox it will boot to a command prompt but this computer supports a fairly high rez and I am just wanting fairly modest (just a bit more than 1024x768) increase.

Only two questions I can think of are #1 I am pretty sure this was supposed to be done in whonix? but perhaps I am wrong? maybe the host OS? #2 in the 00-virtualbox-monitor.conf are there any other lines that should be modified?

I also tried the line:

vboxmanage setextradata “VM Name” “CustomVideoMode1” “1440x900x32”

putting in the “Whonix-Workstation” for the “VM Name” (which was the default name) and the rez I wanted for “1440x900x32” on my host Linux OS but still nada when i rebooted whonix.

Not sure here, suggestions?

Correct.

When i rebooted it booted a command prompt and not into xwin/kde, not sure why. I know if in the gateway if i lower the mem in virtbox it will boot to a command prompt but this computer supports a fairly high rez and I am just wanting fairly modest (just a bit more than 1024x768) increase.
The mechanism that decides whether kdm gets started or not is called RAM Adjusted Desktop Starter. I doubt it is the problem. All it does when there is enough RAM, is "sudo service kdm start" - you can also manually try to start kdm. However, this probably won't be the issue here.
Only two questions I can think of are #1 I am pretty sure this was supposed to be done in whonix?
Yes.
I also tried the line:

vboxmanage setextradata “VM Name” “CustomVideoMode1” “1440x900x32”

That one on the host. (But you probably know that already.)

Not sure here, suggestions?
No, sorry.

doh… thanks for the reply. So do you think it would be worth trying to post over at the virtual box forum?

Yes, but you’re most likely better off making this a non-Whonix, general Debian or Ubuntu VM question. (The issue there will be the same, but less people will falsely assume this is a Whonix inducted issue.)

Well, no luck on the vbox forum. so I’ll deal for the time being. question though; is there a chance that the use of KVM instead of Vbox in the future will make this resolution thing a non issue? (Just curious).

Please copy/paste this question here: