[Solved] A few questions about Whonix from a newbie

I’m neither new to Tor nor Linux, but never have I experimented with Whonix, so very recently I downloaded & installed it and I like it so far, however I have a couple of general questions about Whonix use before I get too comfortable in any habits.

1. Is it safe to use JavaScript, Flash, etc in Whonix? From what I have learned of it so far, it would seem safe, but I just needed to make sure.
  2. When I run the TBB in Whonix, is that Tor over Tor?
  3. Am I correct in saying it is virtually impossible to reveal the true location of a Whonix user?

Thank you for answering all my questions.

1 Like
  1. (Un)safe is a relative term. Those aren’t causing IP revelation risks right after installation, but pose risks for browser fingerprinting and increase attack surface. The Browser Plugins - Whonix page elaborates about this.

2. No Tor over Tor by default in recent Whonix versions.

[Unless you undo Whonix’s environment, that is…]

[Technically, rinetd listens on 127.0.0.1 9150 and 9151 (TBB’s default ports) and forwards them to Whonix-Gateway 192.168.0.10 9150 (where a Tor SocksPort is listening) and 9151 (where Control Port Filter Proxy is listening). Tor does not get started by torbrowser-launcher because the TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH environment variable has been set set to 1 in /etc/profile.d/. See also Dev/Dummy_Tor.]

1. You’re incorrect. Unfortunately. See attack matrix: Anonymity Operating System Comparison - Whonix ™ vs Tails vs Tor Browser Bundle
1 Like

[quote=“Patrick, post:2, topic:234”]1. (Un)safe is a relative term. Those aren’t causing IP revelation risks right after installation, but pose risks for browser fingerprinting and increase attack surface. The Browser Plugins - Whonix page elaborates about this.

1. No Tor over Tor by default in recent Whonix versions.

[Unless you undo Whonix’s environment, that is…]

[Technically, rinetd listens on 127.0.0.1 9150 and 9151 (TBB’s default ports) and forwards them to Whonix-Gateway 192.168.0.10 9150 (where a Tor SocksPort is listening) and 9151 (where Control Port Filter Proxy is listening). Tor does not get started by torbrowser-launcher because the TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH environment variable has been set set to 1 in /etc/profile.d/. See also Dev/Dummy_Tor.]

1. You’re incorrect. Unfortunately. See attack matrix: Anonymity Operating System Comparison - Whonix ™ vs Tails vs Tor Browser Bundle

Thanks for the quick reply, and thank you for maintaining Whonix as well.