Slow shutdown of version 15 workstation and gateway

Because the log contains:

This means systemd sends the usual sigterm signal which lightdm ignores and then when that didn’t work it sends the sigkill command. I.e. lightdm does not react to sigterm for some reason.

No. Lightdm from Debian Debian -- Details of package lightdm in buster

You could report to Debian too and the Debian maintainer should in theory forward the bug upstream. But my experience is this takes a long time. It is useful to report bugs to Debian. Often the maintainer or someone knows something. But contacting the upstream developer directly makes sense too.

Don’t assume it’s more clear to me. :wink:
Just contact upstream somehow. Then see how it goes. Preferably in public to have a reference and give others to share their thoughts well. I’d open a bug on launchpad even if’s not 100% correct that’s not a crime. If it is the wrong place, someone will point out a better place.

1 Like

Ok, filed a bug-report on launchpad with Robert Ancell.

Link?

link bug (slow shutdown Whonix) on launchpad:

1 Like

I am currently avoiding the problem by just forcing shutdown for WS/GW. It is ugly but I only use read-only version so dataloss is not an issue.

1 Like

Me too bro.

Hey guys, heads up, I have found the solution.

Just up your ram to 2gigs. It has solved the issue for me.

I wanted to increase specs on the workstation for other reasons and noticed this problem was not occuring any more and so upped it to 2gb on the gateway as well and it seems to have fixed it there too.

EDIT: Just switching to 2 gig didn’t seem to do it, but increasing cpu too seems to have worked, if not that then keep upping them til it does as the workstation works consistently and I have that at 4 cpu/4 gig I think.

Though it depends how much you wanna use just to solve that issue :). My local machine rarely is needed for much so I can afford to use it for the short instances I want to run whonix.

If you are increasing cpu count while pinned then you won;t be really getting any increased perf benefit.

Whonix 16 moved away from lightdm (because auto login was broken, heisenbug, non-responsive upstream) to gdm3. Let me know if this is still an issue on Whonix 16 after upgrades.