Setup a VPN with GUI interface in Workstation

Hello
I read the topic about how to setup VPN over tor here ,but my VPN has a GUI interface, then after I install deb package it connects automatically. Do I have to take in consideration only the part of guide about “firewall setting” and leave “vpn setup”?
I have to use it only for an application (a remote desktop client that I download from konsole)

Regards

Good day,

Using proprietary software isn’t recommended for VPNs. Please use OpenVPN or, if not available PPTP. Supporting specific software like this is both not possible and most of the time senseless as proprietary VPN software often makes the connection unsafe thus rendering it pointless.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Let me add that you should not rely on PPTP for security - it has been badly broken for a long time.

1 Like

Good day,

Correct, meant L2TP, which at the current point in time is still deemed safe. Sorry, was my fault.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Hello
He says me that I can setup it in Openvpn but I cannot use it without GUI interface
1)Install network-manager-openvpn
2)Extract the configuration files
3)Import linux.conf using the Network Manager menu"

Sound good?

Regards

Good day,

Please regard this: VPN Tunnel Setup Examples

Have a nice day,

Ego

Hello
Maybe in the .conf file there are already my account number, username, ip address etc and I have just to upload it right?

Good day,

Your IP-Address shouldn’t be in there. Wouldn’t make any reason, as a VPN is a tunnel, which doesn’t “care” about the start and exit. Whether username and password are in there depends, though looking at the providers I’ve used, this has never been the case for security reasons.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Perhaps VPN with GUI should be unsupported. ( Frequently Asked Questions - Whonix ™ FAQ )

I would not know how you could use a fail closed mechanism. I recommend to go through the usual instructions:

1 Like

In the GUI I have the option to enable “close internet connection if VPN fails”

I means Ip of VPN

Depends on the VPN client. We are not aware of any Libre Software VPN clients with such a feature. So I guess we are implciity expecting that you are likely using a nonfree (as in Freedom, not beer) VPN client which is discouraged. Reasons:

Even with that option, there is shared VPN/Tor server leak bug which probably no instructions beside the Whonix and Qubes ones cover. Reference: fix shared VPN/Tor server leak bug · Issue #12 · adrelanos/vpn-firewall · GitHub

Perhaps you are refering to bitmask. Cannot comment on that yet. This is TODO.

I have paid for it. About this feature I believe that it works because I tried sometime (not in workstation) and when Vpn fails I hadn’t more internet connection

I have download a file with its certificate in crt and in pem, maybe I can setup it

Hello
I have a problem running this command
kdesudo kwrite /rw/config/whonix_firewall.d/50_user.conf

there isn’t whonix_firewall.d directory, in config I have only qubes-firewall-user-script, suspend-module-blacklist and rc.local

/rw/config/whonix_firewall.d/50_user.conf

Removed from documentation and fixed. Please re-read the Firewall Settings chapter.

Ok, thank you
About VPN configuration there are written "create auth.txt and openvpn.conf"
can be replace with a setup like in a debian os with network manager(go in network connection, click import saved vpn configuration, write username and password)

Thank you

No.