Set Tor Browser as Default Browser after Brave Browser made a Takeover of the Default Browser Setting

So I installed Brave Browser for testing and it automatically set as default browser but I want to keep Tor as my default browser.
How do I set Tor Browser as default web browser on Whonix?

Tor Browser is the default browser as per Whonix default configuration.

If you install any other browser and its sets itself up as default browser, this can be broken.

Setting up a default browser on Linux is a difficult process. The technical implementation details can be seen here:

So if these technical details don’t help you to fix your issue, the only thing can do is a factory reset (re-installation approach).

(Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

This is because apparently nobody has the time and/or skills nowadays to install that browser and then figure out how to unbreak the system (making Tor Browser the default browser again). Might take several hours to reverse engineer. Hence, unlikely to happen.

When installing another browser, they often ask if they should become the default browser. When choosing “no” that might even work and they might not touch the system.

Related:

@Patrick Thanks for you answer but unfortunately it didn’t work. I uninstalled Brave and Tor became default browser back again but I’d like to have both browsers installed and Tor as default.

Your issue isn’t with Whonix, which works as expected. Your issue is with third-party software. Your options:

• A) Ask the third-party software vendor.
  • B) Ask in other places. Often unlikely that anyone will answer.
  • C) Study the issue and fix it yourself.
  • D) Pay someone (not me) to fix it.

@Patrick That was rude and not really real. How does a issue with Whonix not related to Whonix? Tor Browser is the default browser, it should have a easy option to make the default browser.

Nothing rude about it. I just told you the facts what what is most likely going to (not) happen here, what can be expected from this forum thread, which options I can see. So instead of letting you wait or ignore with a non-answer, you got a response.

The source code / program causing this issue isn’t written by anyone from Whonix. The issue is unspecific to Whonix.

It can therefore not be expected that anyone here knows how to fix issues caused by third-party software let alone is responsible for investigating this and/or fixing third-party software.

The only realistic chance to resolve this issue is as per:

It could also be re-interpreted as a feature request “make it easy to make Tor Browser the default browser after third-party browsers made a hostile takeover of the default browser setting”. Nice idea. Unfortunately, will not be implemented anytime soon. Contributions welcome. Community Feedback applies.

EDIT:
Maybe helpful:
https://wiki.debian.org/DefaultWebBrowser

This topic was automatically opened after 10 days.