running MAT2 on Whonix

Hi everybody.

I’m new to Whonix and Linux in general. I am using Whonix in Virtual Box (Non-Qube).
I tried to run MAT2 (Metadata Anonymisation Toolkit v2).
When running mat2 with flag “s” for a file.PNG (8KiB) it says: bwrap: setting up uid map: No such file or directory
After this message, the process is running for several minutes but nothing is happening. I then cancelled it.

Is this normal behavior, the process just takes that much time and I would just have needed to wait some more minutes to finish the run successfully?
Or is there something going wrong with bwrap? I already found the instructions on this page:
http:/…ww.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Metadata#Use_Instructions
(Not allowed to add links to my post)
Seems there were some problems with bubblewrapper, but I am not quite sure if that’s a related problem. Also the mentioned solution “–no-sandbox” does not work for me. It says, this flag does not exist.

Can someone help me how to proceed to to get MAT2 running on Whonix?

Your choices are uninstalling bubblewrap or starting mat2 with the --no-sanbox flag. Note this flag is used for bwrap on the commandline and not mat2 which will not recognize it.

Any idea what’s breaking bubblewrap?

//cc @madaidan

Thanks for this information. Regarding the second option: How does this work?
According to the bwrap manual page, the --no-sandbox flag does not exist for bwrap. Furthermore when starting mat2, how can I hand over this flag to bwrap?
Guess this is some basic linux understanding issue, but anyway I’d be thankful for any hint or a link to further guidance.

I’m unfamiliar with bwrap commands and the manual doesn’t have a --no-sandbox option. Try uninstalling bwrap

I can confirm that after uninstalling bubblewrap I was able to run mat2.
But unfortunately Tor browser was not running anymore after rebooting the system. Installing bubblewrap again did not fix the issue.

Can’t tell a 100% this error happened due to uninstalling bubblewrap, since I also updated Whonix after the reboot.
If you are interested in the error message for maintenance purpose, I can look it up and add it later on.

Could be unrelated. Please create a new forum thread for that. You can add a link to it here.

This will be functional with Whonix stable-proposed-updates repository. At some unknown point in time also in Whonix stable repository.

Will as well be fixed in next Whonix version number equal or grater than 15.0.1.4.5 once released. I tested mat2 just now (while bubblewrap was installed) in Whonix developers-only version 15.0.1.4.5.

Because it’s not using hidepid anymore.

mat2 must be run with --no-sandbox.

I can confirm that mat2 still doesn’t work on Whonix. I use recent version of Whonix-Workstation updated via upgrade-nonroot. The same error bwrap: setting up uid map: No such file or directory. Are you going to fix it? I don’t want to decrease privacy through bwrap removing

working on my end by using: (Qubes)

mat2 picture.png

upgrade should be done via sudo apt commands. (mat2 installed by default)

1 Like

I use non-qubes Whonix (VirtualBox) and mat2 returns me an error

Any difference from apt? I thought that upgrade-nonroot is just script for apt.

Specifics can change over time.

Documentation will be kept up to date:

I’ve found out that mat2 version preinstalled in Whonix-Workstation is 0.8.0 from buster repository and it doesn’t have --no-sandbox flag. I upgraded mat2 to version 0.10.0 from buster-backports repository which has --no-sandbox option but it still doesn’t work. Returns the same error:

bwrap: setting up uid map: No such file or directory

Please help. Non-qubes Whonix (VirtualBox).

Please help. Non-qubes Whonix (VirtualBox).

I just have tested this using whonix-vbox, it worked smoothly without
any additional commands (mat2 xyz.png) .

You have done something wrong on your vm not done by default on whonix.

1 Like

I disabled Whonix-Workstation firewall because I had to run Anbox on top of my Workstation and I can confirm that mat2 doesn’t work.

bwrap: setting up uid map: No such file or directory

anbox has nothing to do with mat2, mat2 working out of the box within
whonix fresh installation.

no further help can be provided.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve just installed newer version of mat2 from buster-backports repository and then rebooted Workstation. Somehow everything works fine now!

1 Like