[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [Priority Support]

replacing kdesudo with gksudo

kdesudo

Whonix hardcodes kdesudo a few times.

Should I just port Whonix to be using gksu or gksudo?
Or is there yet another, even better alternative? //cc @HulaHoop
[If that is possible (hopefully, probably is)]
(Still need to learn the exact differences between gksu or gksudo and experiment.)

Whonix XFCE Development
getting rid of kwrite and kdesudo kwrite throughout the wiki
Whonix for VirtualBox with XFCE 14.0.0.9.6 - Release Candidate 1 - Testers Wanted!
Whonix for VirtualBox with XFCE 14.0.0.9.6 - Release Candidate 1 - Testers Wanted!

We might not be able to get rid of kdesudo. We may not be able to replace it with gksudo unfortunately.

When /home/user/.Xauthority file does not exist (happened to be in a Qubes Debian DispVM) gksudo aborts with an error message.

Failed to run kwrite as user root.

Unable to copy the user’s Xauthorization file.

Error copying ‘/home/user/.Xauthority’ to ‘/tmp/libgksu-HPjE7g’: No such file or directory

It has an ugly first time popup as well. (Not a blocker.)

Granted permissions without asking for password

The ‘kate’ program was started with the privileges of the root user without the need to ask for a password, due to your system’s authentication mechanism setup.

It is possible that you are being allowed to run specific programs as user root without the need for a password, or that the password is cached.

This is not a problem report; it’s simply a notification to make sure you are aware of this.

[ ] Do not display this message again

I couldn’t figure out yet where the setting is stored after checking that box.

but still possible to solve out (later work around). i dont think any user gonna welcome mixed package between 2 DEs.

I think a wrapper covering most common terminals would be the way to go as it’s more furutre proof down the line and DE agnostic.

Not mix X with Y alone is a bad argument if it’s only for the sake of “not mix X with Y”. That level of complaints is pushing it. Too theoretic. Little to none (and none mentioned) practical implications. It requires a high technical sophistication to analyze this (look at packages; know which package derives from where) plus on top a special character to complain about it. Too small user group. Hard to impossible to please user group. Sometimes I even wonder if they’d be even use Whonix or just complain for the sake of complaining. In short: these kind of complains “not mit X with Y for the sake of not mixing” shall not be Whonix indented target user group.

A usability reason to get rid of kdesudo in this post: