Recurring Time Error within Gateway 11 under VirtualBox 5 - ERROR: Unwanted PVClock kvm-clock tsc acpi_pm detected!

Hi Patrick,

Yes, I did note the new Security tab. I do realize you face limited time and resources, yet it is unfortunate Whonix does not have a dedicated VBox maintainer. I say this because the VBox user base is likely much larger than the combined number of KVM and Qubes users, by a significant factor. I also doubt this VBox user base disparity is likely to change any time soon.

I am pretty sure a new VBox topic such as ‘Whonix VBox Paravirtualization - Which Acceleration Mode is Optimal? Help Us Test!’ is warranted at this point.

I do not want to presume which testing information would prove the most useful for you to make a VBox determination.

However, I imagine you would want VBox users to report:

1. Host OS name: Win 10, Gentoo, etc.
  2. Host OS architecture: 64 or 32 Bit
  3. Gateway Version - only 11, or better.
  4. VBox Acceleration Mode Used
  5. Notable Observations - errors, warnings. slowness, failures, etc.
  6. Any other ‘things’ you deem important.

It is probably best to create a short form that users can fill out with the requested information so you don’t have to hunt through long text ‘essays.’

Once the Gateway performance is understood across a range of systems, then you could open testing up for the Workstation, if desired.

To close, another loop, I am now running Gateway 11 under Acceleration = None.

No errors, no warnings, and apt-get works. However, just after the apt-get scan began, the Gateway reported:

hrtimer: interrupt took xxx ns

I don’t know if that is significant, or not.

In any event, the Gateway is operating correctly under Acceleration = None, and if any ‘slowness’ is in fact occurring, it is imperceptible. Perhaps there is some kind of relevant speed test?

Food for thought.

CCP

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Whonix VirtualBox Paravirtualization - Which Acceleration Mode is Optimal? Help Wanted!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Whonix VirtualBox Paravirtualization - Which Acceleration Mode is Optimal? Help Wanted!