Qubes-Whonix version 14 (Debian stretch based) can be upgraded to version 15 (Debian buster based). - Testers Wanted!

So what’s the package conflict?

sudo apt-get install -f
1 Like

no package conflicting its an error to whonix repository , i was on whonix tester 14 before when i upgraded to whonix 15 the repository changed to this:

deb https://deb.whonix.org n/a-testers main contrib non-free

-> n/a-testers

while it should be buster-testers.

There is as well 2 similar names “FileManager” one to customize file manager and one i dunno what for and when i press on the one that i dunno what is for it show this message:

filemanager

Thunar File Manager already there and you can see the folders through it normally.

1 Like

Nyx showing: (GW 15)

[WARN] Socks version 71 not recognized. (This port is not an HTTP proxy; did you want to use HTTPTunnelPort?)

according to configuration - How do I configure Chrome to use Tor? - Tor Stack Exchange
and so as here proxy - Trouble in Tor with C# - Stack Overflow

thats mean there is one service in GW talking to Tor as an HTTP service while it should be SOCKS. how do we know which one?

1 Like

Whonix 14 to 15 showing hash weak error to libd5.3:

Err:121 tor+http://vwakviie2ienjx6t.onion/debian buster/main amd64 libdb5.3 amd64 5.3.28+dfsg1-0.5                                                                        
  Hash Sum mismatch
  Hashes of expected file:
   - SHA256:c7f0e9a423840731362ee52d4344c0bcf84318fbc06dad4fefe0e61d9e7062bc
   - MD5Sum:c5dd77595d2b94a8f833227815fef78c [weak]
   - Filesize:683176 [weak]
  Hashes of received file:
   - SHA256:5e905fde3320b6c9a072b7d5bd0a6feb96562add4f11a6051ea1e317255b869f
   - MD5Sum:100e22a5417fedbbd6537848c41d24ea [weak]
   - Filesize:107162 [weak]
  Last modification reported: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:11:55 +0000

sudo apt update --fix-missing && sudo dist-upgrade

^ seems fixed it

Then after that there is a blockage to the upgrade:

maybe because i used --no-install-recommends then i fixed the missing packages with dist-upgrade ? i dunno what causing that…

There is no ability shown to move files between VMs inside whonix 15:

1 Like

Similar to an existing ARM FAQ entry but now added the exact wording there too:
Control and Monitor Tor

1 Like

Transient upgrading errors are advised to ignore as per Operating System Software and Updates.

1 Like

@nurmagoz via Whonix Forum:

no package conflicting its an error to whonix repository , i was one tester 14 before when i upgraded to whonix 15 the repository changed to this:

deb https://deb.whonix.org n/a-testers main contrib non-free

→ n/a-testers

while it should be buster-testers.

I don’t know how this could happen. whonix_repository already had code
to safeguard against $codename being set to n/a.

Could you please provide instructions how to reproduce this issue?

I can imagine that this would happen if you run whonix_repository during
the upgrade. With new files from stretch but still old whonix-repository
package. Please don’t run whonix_repository while upgrades are still
running.

I’ve added a series of commits to further safeguard against $codename
being set to n/a. Package upgraded to version 5.4-1 all buster
repositories.

Please check your local version is same as
https://github.com/Whonix/whonix-repository/blob/master/usr/bin/whonix_repository

Otherwise please run whonix_repository with debugging so I can see how
this happens:

sudo bash -x whonix_repository --enable --repository testers

There is as well 2 similar names “FileManager” one to customize file manager and one i dunno what for and when i press on the one that i dunno what is for it show this message:

filemanager

Thunar File Manager already there and you can see the folders through it normally.

Can you report this please do Qubes, mentioning this happens when
upgrading to Debian buster with file manager thunar?

1 Like

Actually, it shouldn’t happen. whonixcheck has code to safeguard against this. Package manager running check runs before Tor Pid Check. If a package manager is still running, whonixcheck should stay silent. (Since when package manager upgrades Tor, is is normal for Tor to be stopped for a while.)

Tor Pid Check shouldn’t run in Qubes TemplateVM anyhow.

Looks like this happened while upgrading a Standalone Whonix-Gateway or sys-whonix? In that case this might help at the beginning before upgrading:

sudo systemctl stop whonixcheck
1 Like

A lot issues reported here. Thanks! I guess I should have addressed each of them in this thread. Should I have forgotten any, please remind me.

1 Like

yes

1 Like
  • Thunar issue resolved by installing libexo-1-0
  • Update Qubes onion repos to the new one:
1 Like
1 Like

I noticed that there are two entries in Qubes-Settings > Applications for “Xfce Terminal” for the gateway and workstation. One is the actual terminal and the other is the terminal preferences. They even have the same icon.

The root of the problem is that /usr/share/applications/xfce4-terminal{,-settings}.desktop both have the entries Name=Xfce4 Terminal and Icon=utilities-terminal.

2 Likes

qubenix via Whonix Forum:

I noticed that there are two entries in Qubes-Settings > Applications for “Xfce Terminal” for the gateway and workstation. One is the actual terminal and the other is the terminal preferences. They even have the same icon.

The root of the problem is that /usr/share/applications/xfce4-terminal{,-settings}.desktop both have the entries Name=Xfce4 Terminal and Icon=utilities-terminal.

Qubes Debian buster bug. Could you report it to Qubes please?

Reported here: Debian Buster template has two identical application entries for "Xfce Terminal" · Issue #4993 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

2 Likes

There are differences with whonix 14 and whonix 15 intigration with Qubes helping tools like opening files in disposableVM , Transfer/Copy Files between VMs … look at the images:

• Normal options for file.txt inside Qubes-Debian:

whonix-qubes

• Options missed in Whonix 15:

whonix-qubes1

⚓ T912 qubes integration tools missing

1 Like

Probably also missing in Qubes Debian buster templates, right? If yes, could you report a Qubes bug please?

1 Like

Not yet ported into Qubes stable repos, so i will wait until then and i will check it

1 Like

Its mostly because of missing package which cant be installed:

user@host:~$ sudo apt install qubes-core-agent-thunar 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  qubes-core-agent-thunar
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/26.2 kB of archives.
After this operation, 50.2 kB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 52500 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../qubes-core-agent-thunar_4.0.45-1+deb10u1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking qubes-core-agent-thunar (4.0.45-1+deb10u1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/qubes-core-agent-thunar_4.0.45-1+deb10u1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/thunar.xml', which is also in package security-misc 3:2.9-1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/qubes-core-agent-thunar_4.0.45-1+deb10u1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
user@host:~$

qubes-core-agent-thunar : This package provides integration with the thunar file manager (without it, items like “copy to VM/open in disposable VM” will not be shown in thunar). Source Link

1 Like
  • Feature Request: Add “Exit” option to sdwdate without effecting its reading/time synchronization: (This is useful to see the graphical icon and then hide it without filling qubes taskbar with it , specially if someone uses multiple gatways)

sdwdate

-Error When opening Whonix 15 GW (gone after restart)

ERROR: Tor Config Check Result: 
Your Tor config file contains at least one error. 
(Tor exit code: 1) 
Tor concise reports (below warns and errors must be fixed before you can use Tor): 
Jun 05 12:36:00.308 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: If you set UseBridges, you must specify at least one bridge.
Jun 05 12:36:00.308 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above. 
Tor full reports: 
Jun 05 12:36:00.305 [notice] Tor 0.3.5.8 running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.8-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.1b, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.4, and Libzstd 1.3.8.
Jun 05 12:36:00.306 [notice] Tor can't help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at https://www.torproject.org/download/download#warning
Jun 05 12:36:00.306 [notice] Read configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc".
Jun 05 12:36:00.308 [notice] Included configuration file or directory at recursion level 2: "/usr/local/etc/torrc.d/40_tor_control_panel.conf".
Jun 05 12:36:00.308 [notice] Included configuration file or directory at recursion level 2: "/usr/local/etc/torrc.d/50_user.conf".
Jun 05 12:36:00.308 [notice] Included configuration file or directory at recursion level 1: "/etc/torrc.d/95_whonix.conf".
Jun 05 12:36:00.308 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: If you set UseBridges, you must specify at least one bridge.
Jun 05 12:36:00.308 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.
Try to look at this report yourself by running. dom0 -> Start Menu -> Domain: Whonix-GW-SocialMedia -> Terminal 
sudo -u debian-tor tor --verify-config 
To try to fix this, please open your Tor config file. 
dom0 -> Start Menu -> Domain: Whonix-GW-SocialMedia -> Torrc 
or in Terminal: sudo nano /usr/local/etc/torrc.d/50_user.conf 
Please restart Tor after fixing this error. 
dom0 -> Start Menu -> Domain: Whonix-GW-SocialMedia -> Restart Tor 
or in Terminal: sudo service tor@default restart 
Restart whonixcheck after fixing this error. 
dom0 -> Start Menu -> Domain: Whonix-GW-SocialMedia -> Whonix Check 
or in Terminal: whonixcheck 
If you know what you are doing, feel free to disable this check. Create a file /etc/whonix.d/50_whonixcheck_user.conf and add: 
whonixcheck_skip_functions+=" check_tor_config "