Qubes-Whonix Default Start Menu Entries

Now would be a good time to discuss Qubes-Whonix Default Start Menu Entries for upcoming Qubes-Whonix 12.

- appmenus/netvm-whitelisted-appmenus.list - default application list for a NetVM based on this template - appmenus/vm-whitelisted-appmenus.list - default application list for an AppVM - appmenus/whitelisted-appmenus.list - default application list for the template itself Above files can be dynamically

I am OK with continuing the defaults from prior version of Whonix.

adding whonixcheck to the default menu for both gateway and workstation would be nice

another would be to add whonix updates to both whonix workstation and gateway . . . package updater does not seem to work,

whereas from terminal:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
does

Related, just now posted the following Qubes upstream bug report…
remove broken Debian [and Whonix] TemplateVM default Qubes start menu entries

Yes.

The output of…

whonixcheck --function check_operating_system

Could be added. (It will contain step by step instructions on how - if necessary [i.e. if not a StandaloneVM] - to update the TempalteVM and reboot etc. in Whonix 12. [Preview available in the Whonix testers repository.]

Is that what you mean? What do you think?

The question what to do with it has now also been raised in:

[quote=“Patrick, post:5, topic:1393”]The output of…

Could be added. (It will contain step by step instructions on how - if necessary [i.e. if not a StandaloneVM] - to update the TempalteVM and reboot etc. in Whonix 12. [Preview available in the Whonix testers repository.]

Is that what you mean? What do you think?[/quote]

For end-user ease / newbies, I guess I was thinking more of a shortcut / link to simply run the update command in a small terminal window and then have some sort of statement at the end . . . something like, “Please reboot Whonix to complete the update” . . . Essentially a shell script . . . To further explain, in days of old with Microsoft, I would have referred to this as something like a batch/.bat file, with print screen/echo of “Please reboot . . .” after the update was complete. IMO this would make things super easy for the end user and very easy for Whonix to implement.

[quote=“privacyguy, post:6, topic:1393”][quote author=Patrick link=topic=1670.msg10162#msg10162 date=1442085656]

The output of…

whonixcheck --function check_operating_system

Is that what you mean? What do you think?

[/quote]

For end-user ease / newbies, I guess I was thinking more of a shortcut / link to simply run the update command in a small terminal window and then have some sort of statement at the end . . . something like, “Please reboot Whonix to complete the update” . . . Essentially a shell script . . . To further explain, in days of old with Microsoft, I would have referred to this as something like a batch/.bat file, with print screen/echo of “Please reboot . . .” after the update was complete. IMO this would make things super easy for the end user and very easy for Whonix to implement.[/quote]
Can’t do. Patches required. (Frequently Asked Questions - Whonix ™ FAQ)
Because this is a very difficult problem. Technical reasoning:
Dev/Automatic Updates - Kicksecure