Qubes News: Qubes gets recommended by European Parliament

Qubes News: Qubes gets recommended by European Parliament

[hr]

This year, in a research paper assessing mass surveillance by the EU Parliament, they recommend Qubes OS, as well as other tools such as Tor, as a privacy protections for citizens.

PDF Document:
[b]http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2015/527409/EPRS_STU(2015)527409_REV1_EN.pdf[/b]

Page 51:

Initiatives like the Qube-OS project try to address this issue by developing Open Source Operating Systems that are designed to provide strong security, which in the case of Qube OS is achieved by applying a “Security by Compartmentalization” approach.

Page 60:

It is recommended that users install security and privacy aware operating systems (OS) on their devices, in order to prevent malware to be installed and/or executed, prevent attackers from accessing the software running on the device, ease the creation of VPNs and tunnelling over untrusted connections and support a number of other security features. In the last years some robust implementations have appeared. Two of the most popular are:

Qubes: Qubes is an open-source operating system designed to provide strong security for desktop computing using Security by Compartmentalization approach. Qubes is based on Xen, the X Window System, and Linux, and can run most Linux applications and utilize most of the Linux drivers. Qubes follows a Security by Isolation approach by facilitating the creation of multiple security domains implemented as lightweight Virtual Machines (VMs) running under the Xen hypervisor. The implementation provides strong isolation among these domains so that an attacker who manages to compromise a domain cannot access all the software running in the other domains.

As Qubes is further integrating Whonix into it, the success of Qubes also adds to the success of Whonix, since most Qubes users will become aware of Whonix once it is available out of the box in Qubes.

congratulation! very great forward step. but my only advise and hope: that u should never trust the gov. or ppl related to them, for whatever reason (and i dont want to get deep in it, explaining that, because u know their manipulations and maybe u know better than me in that…) and hope thats doesnt effect the goals of protecting privacy and the anonymity in the future.

and i liked this statement:-

As Qubes is further integrating Whonix into it, the success of Qubes also adds to the success of Whonix, since most Qubes users will become aware of Whonix once it is available out of the box in Qubes.

:wink:

In this case, it seems clearly influenced by Europe reacting protectively against the American spy agencies. So the intention of recommendation seems genuine.

Unfortunately, we do trust government-related people by using Tor.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is no better alternative for anonymous, legal, low-latency networks.

Although, I think Tor core people are probably on the level and not corrupting Tor, or else we wouldn’t use it.

Most governments, thankfully, are not monolithic entities. But the most powerful parts of them usually are pretty rotten inside and can sway a lot of bad influence throughout.

I very much agree with the sentiment of what you said, though.

And believe in building systems and organizations that are more and more TRUSTLESS, so that corrupt and corruptable humans can’t easily repurpose things for their own selfish power over others.

[quote=“nurmagoz, post:2, topic:1048”]and i liked this statement:-

[quote]
As Qubes is further integrating Whonix into it, the success of Qubes also adds to the success of Whonix, since most Qubes users will become aware of Whonix once it is available out of the box in Qubes.[/quote]

;)[/quote]

Yes. :smiley:

More context in the 2015 Qubes Roadmap: