[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [BLOG] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [Priority Support]

Problems with File-Sharing between Host and Guest

This would replace the chown command yes.

Yes that must be why since the “-m” parameter takes a user group name argument. Is there something like the libvirt-qemu group for Fedora instead?

While its a good thing you have something working this command should make it seamless if we succeed in working it out on your distro.

I see three potentially relevant groups:

1. kvm
  2. libvirt
  3. qemu

Of these groups, there is only one corresponding “user”: qemu.

How would you suggest revising the command?

It would be

u:libvirt

But to be completely sure you would check the group that the files transferred from the VM belong to (before chowning or changing permissions on them)

“u:libvirt” produces the same error as “u:libvirt-qemu”:

setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 3

I suspect the issues is the lack of a defined libvirt user in Fedora.

setfacl also accepts groups … ie. g:libvirt, but perhaps that is something different altogether. Are you certain the focus of the command should be the “user” and not the “group”?

To check ownership or permission requests coming from the guest may be tricky, as the rights need to be modified just to add a file to the “shared” folder in Workstation. I understand that SELinux “permissive” mode logs all file requests. The log may offer a positive ID of the requesting user and/or group that holds rank in the guest system.

I will study-up on how to find and read the SELinux logs, and also, whether or not there is need to add a libvirt user to the Fedora host.

I figured it out if anyone out there still cares. The only command you need to make shared files accessible in the host and guest is:

sudo chmod 777 -R /home/yourusername/shared

The longer command I had originally was wrong. Thanks for reporting this.