Problems on gateway after upgrading from whonix8.2 to whonix9

Couple of things:

1.) whonixcheck fails to run.
–> whonixcheck: Error detected. Cleaning up… Exiting
–> whonixcheck: signal ERR received. Cleaning up… Exiting

2.) when I run ‘sudo apt-get dist-upgrade’ i get
–> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
–> tor-geoipdb tor python-pyptlib

• I’ve tried new circuits from arm but the problem persists

Other than this, it seems I have successfully updated to Whonix 9 on both the Gateway and Workstation.

[quote=“tehblah, post:1, topic:544”]1.) whonixcheck fails to run.
→ whonixcheck: Error detected. Cleaning up… Exiting
→ whonixcheck: signal ERR received. Cleaning up… Exiting[/quote]
Does this Release Upgrade - Whonix help?

[quote=“tehblah, post:1, topic:544”]2.) when I run ‘sudo apt-get dist-upgrade’ i get
→ WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
→ tor-geoipdb tor python-pyptlib

• I’ve tried new circuits from arm but the problem persists[/quote]
    Perhaps you haven’t had a chance to get The Projects Updates signing key while they could still sign their repository with that key. Please try this.
gpg --import /usr/share/anon-shared-build-apt-sources-tpo/tpoarchive-keys.d/torprojectarchive.asc
gpg --export A3C4F0F979CAA22CDBA8F512EE8CBC9E886DDD89 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And please report if that solved the issue.

[
Updated above answer. Forgot to add.

Now fixed. See above post.
]

Alternatively, since the GitHub - Kicksecure/anon-shared-build-apt-sources-tpo: Adds The Tor Projects's (TPO) APT repository to Derivative Linux Distributions during build. - Useful, because TPO's repository sometimes contains better/more recent versions of Tor, obfsproxy, torsocks, etc. This package is produced independently of, and carries no guarantee from, The Tor Project. package is installed by default… There are already scripts installed to automate all this.

/usr/lib/anon-dist/chroot-scripts-post.d/40_add_torprojects_key
/usr/lib/anon-dist/chroot-scripts-post.d/50_update_tpo_package_list
/usr/lib/anon-dist/chroot-scripts-post.d/60_install_deb.torproject.org-keyring

They’re untested outside the build script, but written for having them run outside the build script in mind, and I don’t see how why they shouldn’t work. In worst case, they just wouldn’t work. Nothing worse. But I am quite certain it would work.

I ended up backing up info to a .vdi (thanks for the procedure on that) and just downloaded the new version 9 images. I’m good to go. Thanks.