Problem with tor blocked/detected by websites - Help please -

Hello to everybody.

I newbie in the world of linux and whonix, I live in a country where tor is blocked, my configuration is this >>>

-Private vpn in the host

-virtual machine with whonix getaway, i don’t touch nothing here

-virtual machine with whonix workstation with a private vpn

I use a iceweasel for not touch nothing in tor browser, I check vpn ip via web and it’s correct, but the website can know that I use tor also, and I banned forever and websites sent me a email tell me that the find a suspected activity and we banned my account…

The vpn is type openvpn and tcp, I have a program for disconnect vpn if fail, and not have idea how the websites know that I use a tor…

Sorry for my bad english

Thanks to all!

As long as they’re not telling you your Tor IP, they don’t know you’re using Tor.

Spam filters don’t only include Tor IPs. They also include public VPN IPs. So I would speculate, they banned your account due to use of a VPN.

Also a private vpn? because I use a private vpn… What I can do?

Thank you Patrick :slight_smile:

Depends on how private, private actually is. If you have a shared IP on some virtual private server, quite possibly someone else has been hacked and now that IP has been abused for spam. I advice to put your VPN IP into some free service, that says whether it is listed as spammy IP or not in some blacklist.

Last question Patrick, please !

First, I’m a big newbie with whonix and linux, sorry if say something stupid.

Before, I use a windows 7 with this same private vpn and I register in this website and I could buy in this web and all work ok.

But now, I use a linux whonix, and I have this problem, I checked dns leak in ipleak.net and I see several servers in America, I use a France vpn, and not correspond with the dns addresses I have before…

This dns leak maybe it’s a problem with my ban in this website.

Thank you, Patrick!

Have you taken my advice from above “I advice to put your VPN IP into some free service, that says whether it is listed as spammy IP or not in some blacklist.” ?

I advice not to compare “this website earlier and now” mixing up with “Windows and Whonix” because that doesn’t yield reliable results for comparison. There could be multiple reasons for that website for hitting the spam filter - some reasons unrelated to IP / DNS. Therefore my advice at the top.

Depending on when “before” was, this is not necessarily a problem. Maybe the VPN service changed DNS in meanwhile. Maybe they have are using multiple DNS servers and load balancing.

A) Use the VPN with Windows 7 again: check what ipleak.net says, check again what ipleak.net says, check again what ipleak.net says.

B) Use the VPN Whonix: check what ipleak.net says, check again what ipleak.net says, check again what ipleak.net says.

Now compare A and B. Now you know if ipleak.net could figure out a difference. If ipleak.net could not, that website can not use that info either. If ipleak.net could figure out a difference, then that website can figure out a difference as well.

For configuring using the DNS of the VPN, have a look at this example VPN Tunnel Setup Examples - needs to be adjusted for your VPN service.