post-quantum cryptography - PQC

For added protection against the NSA, encrypt using AES chain block cipher mode, then encrypt the cipher text (the result from the first encryption) again, and repeat as many times as you can afford to repeat. The NSA would probably try brute force searching to go through the search space, and figure out they’ve cracked the code by determining the entropy of the result for each of the keys they test. They know when to stop when they see meaningful text as the result. By encrypting several times, you make it harder for them to determine when they have cracked a code because if they did try the right key, then they would see jumble as the result, almost indistinguishable from the results of the incorrect keys. As you increase the number of re-encryptions, the difficulty of cracking encrypting content becomes more difficult. The NSA will lose its mind trying to figure out when they have cracked the code.

Software like TrueCrypt can do multiple encryption for you. But beware of naive encryption that simply runs in the “Encrypted Code Book” mode. You will need encryption that runs in one of the more sophisticated modes like “Chain Block Cipher” or “Cipher Feedback.” Yes, a quantum computer would make it easier for the NSA to go through the possible keys to try. But by encrypting multiple times (with a DIFFERENT key for each encryption repeat of course), you make the search space difficult by a factor of the key length. Hopefully this helps you keep your stuff out of the NSA’s reach.

-The implications of applying multiple layers of encryption can be quite complex and in the worst case reduce the individual layers’ security - take for example XORing the entire message twice - you end up with the original message! And even if you use two different keys, it’s still equivalent to XORing with one entirely different key. It’s of course more complex with AES, but you’d really do yourself a favour by increasing the key size instead… – Tobias Kienzler

Thirty-Year-Old Encryption Formula Can Resist Quantum-Computing Attacks That Defeat All Common Codes

1978 Cryptosystem Resists Quantum Attack
http://www.science.slashdot.org/story/10/08/18/1958226/1978-Cryptosystem-Resists-Quantum-Attack

If you mean me , i have no idea , i am not programmer , i copy\paste that links & texts from my research on internet.

Codecrypt has made it into Debian :smiley:

2 Likes

Adoption checklist:

1. Quantum-resistant algorithms reviewed by academic journals
  2. Algorithms tested by well-regarded hackers
  3. Code audited for correct implementation
  4. Enough adoption so I’m not the only user

I would guess #1 has been completed. Will look into it further as time permits…

1 Like

How to get codecrypt on Debian has been documented by @HulaHoop.

Post-Quantum Cryptography (PQCrypto)

Blogged about this.

Could you please review this change?

PQCrypto: Difference between revisions - Whonix

1 Like

Looks good.

1 Like

Could you review and confirm this edit please? PQCrypto: Difference between revisions - Whonix

1 Like

I like it!

Linus Torvald doesnt believe in Quantum computers will exist at all.

Tech News Tuesday - Sep 4, 2018 - Linux Creator “Unbeliever” in Quantum Computing

1 Like

It’s been in the news recently that Intel has it.

But I haven’t researched how/if Intel is any close to the real thing.

1 Like

All you need to know about the state of PQC NIST submissions and Qunatum advancements: media.ccc.de - The year in post-quantum crypto

2 Likes

Requested support for multiple recipients

1 Like

Stateful hashes are especially dangerous in virtual environments because they can be easily used improperly. Opened feature request for stateless sig schemes like SPHINCS

1 Like

Could you review PQCrypto: Difference between revisions - Whonix please? @HulaHoop

1 Like

Adopted changes but kept 2022 date as final deadline

1 Like