Persistent Tor Entry Guard Relays can make you trackable Across Different Physical Locations

@2xiangzi

(copy/pasted from a text editor )

@2xiangzi Thanks for your insights. Congratulations to you and your 1 million friends for poking holes all over the GFW! (At the same time, itā€™s sad that 1 million is still less than one tenth of one percent of the population. Of course, Iā€™m sure the number of people who have access to any computer technology is a much smaller subset to begin with.)

Fun Fact: Thereā€™re about 1 million people able to circumvent the Internet Censorship in China and nobody has been arrested for reading/watching political sensitive materials. What the CCP really care is people who express themselves.

I guess the CCP has too much on their hands to go after everybody. But itā€™s still better not to be watchlisted in the first place. Everybody who expresses themselves began by reading/watching first. The impending economic slowdown is going to send Chinese internal security into overdrive / crackdown mode. Iā€™ve read that even more terrifying to the CCP than freedom of expression is freedom of association - people who organize any type of meetings / gatherings.

Even if you could enforce --always-use-lantern-network, you could still be discovered as a Tor user because your destination is unencrypted through the network.

Iā€™m sorry. I donā€™t understand ā€˜because your destination is unencrypted through the networkā€™, dosenā€™t that mean your ISP is not able to know where you are going by using an encrypted proxy?

Sorry, written poorly. What I meant was that Lantern uses https to route traffic. So, from the FAQ:

Lantern users acting as access points can see the website youā€™re accessing and where youā€™re accessing it from, but the actual content you are reading from or posting to that site is not visible to them because it is encrypted over HTTPS.

Assuming I understand correctly that Lantern is strictly direct P2P and not a multi-hop relayā€¦ My point is: Canā€™t the CCP set up a bunch of Lantern nodes and see which Chinese IPs are connecting to Tor? Because youā€™re using Tor, the final destination IP will be hidden but Lantern will not hide that you are using Tor. It seems Lantern would be easier to attack for a mass surveillance dragnet while a VPN would be easier to attack for targeting an individual. (Attack would be analogous to How can we help? | Tor Project | Support, but unlike Tor, Destination IPs are in the clear.)

Didnā€™t realize that OpenVPN was blocked. That does limit your choices.

You can use it to avoid Cloudflare captchas :slightly_smiling: And as you mentioned, Lantern sever will get the same information that Tor exit node can get.

Iā€™m beginning to like the idea of using Lantern post-Tor to evade Tor bans. Since each destination could potentially route through different peer IPs, Iā€™m guessing that Tor circuit creation will cycle normally? Sounds much better than using a static Tor circuit to connect to a static Socks5 proxy or VPN (most popular VPN IPs are blacklisted like Tor also but a custom VPS usually works (but then the disadvantage is using a non-shared IP)).

I assume you read this page:

How about using Lantern to connect to an obfuscated bridge? Itā€™s not foolproof but the extra hop may make the other 999,999 people easier targets. When a bear is chasing you, you donā€™t have to outrun the bear - you just need to outrun the guy next to you.