Password to open Gateway/WS

Hi. I am wanting to setup a password that that will prevent anyone from just opening up my Oracle VM Manager and clicking the Gateway and Workstations with no prompts. Both just open up without asking for passwords. How do I do this? I have tried searching for them on web searches but doesn’t seem to be what I am looking for as to what I had found.

Because at the moment it is just a free reign for anyone in my house to open them.

Thanks

You might as well enable your screensaver lock instead. Both are equally useless against an adversary who has the slightest idea what to do, but I assume you brother/sister are clueless. With a screen lock you tighten control to more things.

If you use a shared computer I advise you to save up in your piggy bank and get your own. They are very cheap.

So there is no way to set a password to be able to login? Its just free reign if you have access to my computer? and yes I do have it outside the home many times so I want to be able to lock it. I’d have thought it had a login feature for a virtual machine?

If there is none having it open already would have to suffice. How do I set that up?

I also notice there is a ‘lock screen before sleep’ under Shutdown settings in Advanced in Startup and Session. Can this do it?

Thanks kindly

You can. I am not entirely sure of what you are trying to achieve. But, yes, you can.

yes,on multiple levels. but, in regards to the sibling scenario mentioned above, have you enabled full disk encryption? this will require a passphrase to boot your host operating system, and will keep them out while the machine isn’t logged in and turned on. are you leaving your machine running while you aren’t using it?

Perhaps. I don;t know what desktop environment you use and I’m sure you can easily search how to lock computer with X. X being GNOME, MATE or KDE

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean by host my windows machine? I run it on Oracle VM box, and I boot it up. If you mean a passphrase to boot my Whonix then this what I want.

I leave it on when I sleep etc and often.

1. I want to require a passcode to boot my whonix image on Oracle VM box
  2. When it is logged in active a lock (someone said above use a screen server which would be ok) when I walk away from the PC or go to gym/sleep.

Thanks.

1 Like

when you are away from your computer, it should be powered off. to disable the automatic login features for whonix, i think all you have to do is place a “#” symbol as the first character in all the lines of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/whonix-autologin.conf.