Notifications Prompt on login

Hi @mig5. Every login I am prompted to enable notifications though I have them enabled already. Do you know if this is a discourse bug?

Thanks @HulaHoop. Iā€™m investigating and will let you know.

By Notifications do you mean the ā€˜Live Notificationsā€™ setting at /u/HulaHoop/preferences/notifications ?

Can you also take a screenshot of the prompt so I can see what youā€™re seeing?

Cheers

1 Like

Iā€™m struggling with installing a screenshot utility, however the message appears in a blue box at the top of the page saying"

"Do you want live notifications when people reply to your posts? Enable Notifications. "

Thanks @HulaHoop

My understanding is that this setting is driven not by Discourse but via your browser settings (e.g in Firefox, ā€˜Notificationsā€™ in about:preferences#privacy . You may need to uncheck ā€˜Block new requests asking to allow notificationsā€™ or whitelist the forums.whonix.org site in your browser notification settings).

According to what I can see as an admin, in your preferences, your Live Notifications is set to ā€˜Deniedā€™ with the message ā€œYou denied permission for notifications. Allow notifications via your browser settings. Note: You have to change this setting on every browser you use.ā€

My own settings are the same as above (ā€˜Deniedā€™), but I donā€™t reproduce the issue. I just enabled Notifications in my browser, and then got the prompt on the forum. I consented to enabling notifications and I donā€™t get reprompted even in another browser. So Iā€™m not sure why itā€™s different for you. It suggests that at some stage in the past, your notifications were disabled in browser and so disabled in Discourse. But maybe youā€™re now using a browser with the notifications on, and so you get prompted - but in fact you ought not to, since itā€™s clearly set to Denied in your forum preferences.

Hmm. Iā€™ll continue to research if itā€™s a Discourse bug but I canā€™t reproduce it.

Actually just realised in my other browser, although the setting was no longer ā€˜Deniedā€™, I still had to click ā€˜Enable notificationsā€™ to activate it.

The ā€œNote: You have to change this setting on every browser you use.ā€ suggests that itā€™s by design since itā€™s driven by browser settings. If youā€™re using a DispVM in QubesOS every time you visit the forums (as I am), maybe this is the causeā€¦ (a different browser each time)?

Perhaps if I had forums.whonix.org whitelisted in browser settings (including in DispVMs default settings) I would not have to enable it each timeā€¦ does this match your situation? Are you using the same browser every time without changing browser settings, or different one each time?

Hey @HulaHoop, I just reproduced it again signing in via Tor Browser (which by default allows notifications).

If I even just open another tab I see the blue bubble again.

Furthermore, in my settings within Discourse, nothing happens when I click ā€˜Enable Notificationsā€™.

But in a regular Firefox browser, clicking the button shows the ā€˜do you wish to allow notificationsā€™ native box popup in the browser, and I say yes, and the setting sticks.

So, this seems just an issue under Tor Browserā€¦

Iā€™ll investigate if I can fix it, but itā€™s curious, as it doesnā€™t show any debug errors that I would expect to see if it was CSP related etc.

Yes I always use Tor Browser with no modifications on my end.

That would be great thanks.

Hi @HulaHoop,

Iā€™ve been unable to solve it - more significantly, I reproduce it on Discourseā€™s meta.discourse.org as well as their demo try.discourse.org. So the issue is not specific to our configuration, version or infrastructure.

Iā€™ve therefore reported it upstream at 'Enable Notifications' button in user preferences doesn't work on Tor Browser 8.0.3 - support - Discourse Meta with as much info as I can think of.

Cheers
Mig

1 Like

I got a sassy response telling me to take it up with the Tor Project. Iā€™ll try that too.

Nice, my sassy response to the sassy response was met with a less sassy, and more useful, response.

Tor Browser is based on Firefox ESR. Firefox 52 ESR disabled the service workers & push notifications to make it easier to handle updates.

So it sounds like itā€™s a limitation of Firefox ESR. Something we canā€™t do anything about.

I can disable the live notifications prompt (blue bar) entirely if that makes it less annoying/distracting? What do you think? I think Iā€™ll go ahead and do that actually. I think the user might still be able to enable it in their preferences area, if they can actually use it. EDIT thatā€™s indeed the case.

1 Like

Sounds good. Thanks for taking this up with upstream. I appreciate what you do for us here.