Noob need help!

mmmmh,how to begin?

I’ve seen that,i felt under the charm of this Idea but… wherever i search i can’t find specific information on how to set a virtualmachine with this genius Whonix and Qubes combination.

So… i’m interesed about how to set it up because i am really interested in trying it!

Sorry for my poor english i’m french!

thanks for any answer!

Bonjour bullabdomen. :smiley:

1: First, you install and update Qubes OS on your bare metal host computer:

2: Second, you install and update the Whonix TemplateVMs on top of Qubes:

3: Third, you create the active Whonix VMs that you will use from the TemplateVMs:

Also, here are the general documentation links for Qubes and Whonix:

Thanks a lot for you help! I’ll work on it!

Do you think that is possible that one day that idea become a proper distribution? thanks and you have all my support!!!

carpe diem!

[quote=“bullabdomen, post:3, topic:995”]Thanks a lot for you help! I’ll work on it!

Do you think that is possible that one day that idea become a proper distribution? thanks and you have all my support!!!

carpe diem![/quote]

You are welcome. :smiley:

Other than further integration into the Qubes installer, Qubes + Whonix is the combination of two distinct distributions that stand on their own. Qubes for endpoint security and Whonix for Tor anonymity. They do two different but complementary things. So depends upon what you’re talking about, but we are essentially there already.

Thanks!

Hey,thanks for the help just launch the first step of installing whonix gateway…

Just for information,when installing and booting for the first time Qubes (no error while installing) i get an error at the end while the proccess was creating all the virtual machine for work ,ect…

How to fix it? thanks :slight_smile:

You’re welcome. Hopefully your Whonix install goes well. :smiley:

[quote=“bullabdomen, post:5, topic:995”]Just for information,when installing and booting for the first time Qubes (no error while installing) i get an error at the end while the proccess was creating all the virtual machine for work ,ect…

How to fix it? thanks :)[/quote]

Not sure. That would be a Qubes-related support issue:

[b]https://www.qubes-os.org/community[/b]

You should hopefully have a “netvm” and “firewallvm” available so you can network your other VMs through these. If not, you could recreate them yourself.

Yes i got a DisposableVM with like firefox in it,a firewall VM and a netVM!!!

Not other… but i guess i don’t need,do i?

Thanks,i’m continuing the process! Keep up the good work!

Hi,i’m blocked at the :

3. Launch TemplateVM Terminal

In Dom0 » Application Launcher Menu:

For your Whonix TemplateVM's launcher menu, click on the "Terminal" app to launch it.
  1. Enable Whonix Repository

Qubes and Debian updates install by default. If you would also like to install Whonix updates this way, then ensure you have the Whonix repository enabled – (or disabled if you prefer). This setting will remain in your TemplateVM for later.

In Whonix TemplateVM » Terminal:

Input command: [code]sudo whonix_repository[/code]
    Choose: Yes. Automatically install updates from the Whonix team.
    Press: OK
    Choose: Whonix Stable Repository (unless you are a tester or developer and understand what you are doing).
    Press: OK
  1. Check and Install Updates

In Whonix TemplateVM » Terminal:

Input command: [code]sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y[/code]</blockquote>

I am lost… even with the explanation,wich i’m shure a clear for native speaker but i can’t get where exactly and how i’m supposed to launch the specific whonix gateway experimental (template VM) terminal to active the official whonix repository!

Thanks!

Good. You need those “netvm” and “firewallvm”. Those are the “ServiceVMs” that your networking goes through.

The other default VMs like “personal”, “work” etc are just example AppVMs. Not critical. You can create your own AppVMs at anytime.

[quote=“bullabdomen, post:7, topic:995”]Hi,i’m blocked at the : [quote]

1. Launch TemplateVM Terminal

In Dom0 » Application Launcher Menu:

For your Whonix TemplateVM's launcher menu, click on the "Terminal" app to launch it.

[/quote][/quote]

If it is Step 3 you’re stuck on, then:

The “Launcher Menu” is the Linux equivalent of the “Start Menu” in Windows.

In Qubes, it is the little blue and white “Q” symbol in the lower left corner of the desktop.

For the Whonix-Gateway TemplateVM:

Launcher Menu → Template: whonix-gateway-experimental → Terminal

For the Whonix-Workstation TemplateVM:

Launcher Menu → Template: whonix-workstation-gnome → Terminal