[Must see] John Oliver about encryption, Apple and backdoors

Good day,

John Oliver, the ingenious journalist/comedian, talked in the last episode of his world famous show “Last week tonight” about encryption, backdoors and the recent discussion between Apple and the FBI, regarding weakening encryption to support law enforcement. It is well made, very objective and funny as well, so to anyone interested in these things, I recommend you watch it.

Here: Encryption: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - YouTube

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

CIA (foreign intel) would just kidnap engineers and whisk them off to a black site in Poland.
FBI (domestic law enforcement) actually has to follow some semblance of legal procedure.
(reminds me +1 for Sicario movie)

Nice to hear that it’s viewed internationally (hope Daily Show too). They (+Jon Stewart) are good ambassadors for America. Shows the world that not all Americans are Evolution-deniers lol.

On-topic, the usual bastards at Apple seem so fuzzy and lovable cause they’re fighting the good fight. Bill Gates, “the thinker”, won’t take sides, says its complicated. Nice…

Good day,

Thanks, you are right. How could I forget that, as a Weird Al fan… Has been corrected.

Yeah, he has quite a strong following in the politically informed populous, here in Austria. Furthermore, segments like his take on Trump/Drumpf last week are also a topic in most newspapers here.

Regarding the Daily Show, not so much. Personally, some segments of it are just a bit too “trimmed on humour” for my taste, where as John has found a rather healthy dose between making people laugh and informing them.

Regarding the topic of the video, personally I support Apple by 51%, simply because I’m suspecting that it is not so much about keeping users safe, as it is about keeping jailbreaks as hard as possible. So, while they are on the side I support, I still think of them as acting purely for their own gain. It is similar to when Google supported net neutrality. Even though they said it was about helping start-ups, it was about helping themselves.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like