Long Wiki Edits Thread

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: password advice wiki page enhancements

new wiki page:

2 Likes

1. Please add the Multiple image template for Whonix wiki.

See here: Template:Multiple image/doc - MediaWiki

Then we can stack multiple images horizontally, change their size, and links, descriptions etc. without them automatically stacking vertically as is the case currently.

Looks bad when many are done in succession e.g. Anonymous Money page. If we had that template, we could do something like this instead there:

{{multiple image
| align = center
| width = 128
| image1=BC Logo .png | alt1=Bitcoin | link1=Bitcoin
| image2=Electrum-appimage.png | alt2=Electrum Bitcoin | link2=electrum
| image3=Monero-symbol-1280.png | alt3=Monero | link3=Monero
| image4=bank-gray-md.png | alt4=Bank Wire | link4=Bank Wire
}}

2. Also, that annoying footer we have with shit listed vertically, instead of horizontally, I see various sites talk about using ‘display: inline’ or ‘inline-block’ for that purpose - not sure how hard (or possible?) to implement in mediawiki. The online mediawiki footer entries don’t seem very helpful.

e.g. html - How to horizontally center an unordered list of unknown width? - Stack Overflow

The solution, if your list items can be display: inline is quite easy:

#footer { text-align: center; }
#footer ul { list-style: none; }
#footer ul li { display: inline; }

However, many times you must use display:block on your

• s. The following CSS will work, in this case:

#footer { width: 100%; overflow: hidden; }
    #footer ul { list-style: none; position: relative; float: left; display: block; left: 50%; }
    #footer ul li { position: relative; float: left; display: block; right: 50%; }

• OR

Use the below css to solve your issue

#footer{ text-align:center; height:58px;}
    #footer ul { font-size:11px;}
    #footer ul li {display:inline-block;}

1 Like

Tough stuff.

These templates aren’t part of a default mediawiki installation and the instructions on how to get them failed for me in past.

I don’t see the images at the right side vertically as an issue. Just filling up empty space. Gallery could make these images vertically, I think.
    Help:Images - MediaWiki
    But that would make the page longer. More to scroll. And still waste white space at the right side.

I cannot see this.

Either using CSS. → Dev/CSS - Kicksecure

Or mediawiki extension widgets. Already installed and in use.
    (Extension:Widgets - MediaWiki)

Let me know if you want to work on this and require some access rights (not sure already got interface administrator / widget editor).

I was using the term virus rather than malware recently. It is undisputed, that malware is technically more correct. A virus is just a subset of the overarching category malware. Viruses may not even be the most scary type of malware. Imo torjan horses are a lot worse. However, I yet have to find a laymen in person who knows the term malware. They however do have an idea what a computer virus is. Even though technically imperfect I prefer the term virus since it leads to an understanding by a wider audience. Related: Long Wiki Edits Thread - #1644 by Patrick

Wiki integration needed:

Ah okay - fair enough if it doesn’t usually work.

Don’t think I’ll try to play with CSS, too high a risk of stuffing something up on the wiki with my incompetence :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you please add links from other pages to this page?

Also this:

• Template {{VersionNew}} clearly states 15.0.0.6.6, but on various download and other pages it presents as “15.0.0.4.9”? Strange.
    • The download page for VirtualBox (VirtualBox/XFCE) also still points to:
      https://download.whonix.org/ova/15.0.0.4.9/Whonix-XFCE-15.0.0.4.9.ova even though 15.0.0.6.6 is the stable point release?
    • KVM download page points to 15.0.0.7.1 stable release. Will KVM & Virtualbox releases not stay in sync?
    • In our release notes (updates) we’re not really picking up Qubes-Whonix specific ones. Is there a github link just for that?
    1 Like

Unfortunately, sometimes not.

Nothing Qubes-Whonix specific lately as far as I can remember.

Qubes is currently missing out:

Not directly. Some Qubes-Whonix specific changes go into individual packages rather than into the qubes-whonix package. Not much going on there lately. The “direct” but “incomplete” github links:

Thanks!
    Server caching issue. Manually purged cache for now for now but original issue not identified / fixed on server.

Yes. Whonix VirtualBox 15.0.0.6.6 - Point Release

Could you review Full Disk Encryption: Difference between revisions - Whonix please? @HulaHoop

2 Likes

After thinking about it for a long time I decided to reject the changes for these reasons:

• This entire section is meant as a workaround until fixed gnome-disks is in stable. Which means that ideally neither I nor anyone else should ever have to care about the underlying commandline interface to get something as important as block device encryption working.

• Some instructions are redundant given the amount of data on the password best practices page. I advise anyone who has anything important to store to just use the maximum length passphrase instead of jumping thru hoops and debating what is safe with keystretching of all flavors (sha iterations, argon2)

• Interacting with filesystems like ext4 formatting, should be done using gparted for simplicity. Whenever considering instructions we should not include stuff that can be done with GUIs or any other easier way. The wiki should be about the least complex way to accomplish complex things and no more.

I hope you try to understand my POV and aren’t put off by the edit rollback. I am a big fan of short and sweet documentation and don’t want users to be confused or give up because the page has become unbearably long.

2 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: i2p inside Whonix-Workstation broken

Could you review Full Disk Encryption: Difference between revisions - Whonix please? @HulaHoop

1 Like

Accepted. Happy data nuking everyone!

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Freenet with Onioncat

Could you review Freenet: Difference between revisions - Whonix please? @HulaHoop

1 Like

Great. @Torjunkie is on a roll today :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slight_smile:

BTW that GNUNet page is a bit light on. I have to read up on it, but we don’t have many instructions there? Or not much we can add?

1 Like