Long Wiki Edits Thread

Reasons for not using tor+http://deb.whonix.org on Whonix Packages for Debian Hosts and Whonix Host Enhancements :

• More complex instructions for Debian users for adding the Whonix repository. I.e. they need to install apt-transport-tor and also keep in mind Hide Tor use from the Internet Service Provider too? Maybe not a good reason?
  • How much is it worth connecting to Whonix repositories over Tor when all other of users repositories are probably still using plain http over clearnet? Maybe not a good reason?

tor+http://deb.whonix.org could be mentioned but I was wondering if that is not what the user is looking for in that moment, thus bouncing.

The fact that safer defaults are not widely used is not a good argument IMO. It protects against version leak and user targetting also from additional attention that user John Doe knows about Whonix and is a user.

1 Like

Edit: I just went ahead and changed it. It seems like one small extra step for more privacy and should’t really interfere with anything.

1 Like

Guilt by Association

@HulaHoop i am not sure i am following what you are saying. this is to be added in what machine?

1 Like

These are for people adding Whonix repos on their hosts only.

1 Like

Whonix ™ Documentation looking better and better! :slight_smile:

Does Whonix ™ Documentation still contain contents from https://tails.boum.org/doc/index.en.html? If not, we could get rid of {{License_Amnesia|{{FULLPAGENAME}}}}. Other ways to get out of it:

• Fair use.
  • Common phrases. (First Steps with XXX or XXX First Steps are most likely not copyrightable.)
  • I guess not too much rewording would be required to get rid of any residual contents by Tails.

Full Disk Encryption and Encrypted Images - Whonix has been split as discussed a while ago into:

1 Like

If we want to declutter the main Documentation page further, what would work nicely would be shifting everything currently with “Advanced:…” to a sub-page.

When you look at most of those sections, they are either advanced or (more often IMO) just obscure activities e.g. nested virtualization, building from source, unsupported virtualizers and other random things. Probably 1/100 users do most of that, so I agree what one of the commentators on that page, it should be simplified.

So if we have an /wiki/Advanced/Documentation page I think all the following stuff should go there:

1. Advanced: Esoteric Issues
  2. Advanced: File Transfers and SSH / SSHFS
  3. Advanced: Miscellaneous
  4. Advanced: Platform Support
  5. Advanced: Tor
  6. Advanced: Whonix-specific

(And we can also lose the ‘Advanced’ part in each title. If any stuff in those sections is either a) not advanced, or b) common, then simply link to it in the main ToC page instead. Definite rationalization required, otherwise the ToC looks overwhelming).

Appendix should probably stay on the main Documentation page as is.

Would be much cleaner, and less intimidating for ‘normal’ users i.e. 98% of people.

1 Like

Yeah. Need to simplify that. Users struggle with things which are totally obvious for us.

At least 3 or 4 users did not manage to use Whonix because Whonix asks for “host login”. Users probably mean this screen.

First mistake perhaps, they downloaded Whonix CLI rather than Whonix XFCE?

Whonix ™ for VirtualBox with CLI and Whonix ™ for VirtualBox with Xfce look quite alike. Links from all over the internet and people discussing various things might have users end up one the wrong page. So added a warning to the Whonix CLI page.

People then give the actual host (as in outside of the VM) login which obviously won’t work. Too bad.

agetty asks for “host” login since hostname was set to “host” for better anonymity.

If we could use hostname “Whonix-VM” that would be better for usability but worse for anonymity (then it would ask for “Whonix-VM login”).

We could improve the messages above.

But I haven’t found a way yet to make agetty ask for something other than “$hostname login”.

The next thing users will stumble on and give up is the absence of asterisk stars * as users type their password.

Qubes onions are back, please check Onionizing Repositories - Whonix.

Since you agree then I’ll shift all those “Advanced” bits and pieces to an “Advanced Documentation” page. Stop me now if you don’t want that…

Looks good. I see adw made some edits too - thanks adw :slight_smile:

Agree that simple Qs in forums like this indicate documentation needs to fill that gap - backing up what people were saying about quick start guides etc. ‘Normal’ users have very simple expectations in the main.

1 Like

Could you split Multiple Qubes-Whonix TemplateVMs from https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Multiple_Whonix_Gateways_and_TemplateVMs to its own page too please? (Also a workstation template can be cloned.)

The reason I didn’t do that originally was because of the small size of the text/content attached to Multiple Whonix-Gateways i.e. would have been a tiny page? You still want to do that?

1 Like

I guess we have to in this case? Multiple-Whonix-Workstation’s didn’t fit multiple Whonix-Gateway’s or TemplateVMs. So if we split it, we should split for good for consistency.

Perhaps it fits best into /Qubes/ somewhere?

in this wiki:

i have delete video & audio editing tools because they were KDE based. anyone has better alternatives? (better to be DE free dependencies or Xfce based)

1 Like

For pre-installation it’s nice if we can reasonably stick with XFCE only (reasons of disk space and maybe some other reasons). However, generally it’s not a problem if users mix packages of GTK, QT, LXDE, Gnome, Mate, KDE and whatever. If some user wants for example kwave, there is no reason to discourage that. So if there are no replacements for those, we can just keep the kde ones there. Or should the kde ones (just speaking theoretical) be better than anything else, another reason to leave them there.

any reason not to config the cli version to autologin “user” on boot?

Yes. I was considering it. When there is autologin it would also apply to:

• physical isolation (autologin there would be surely criticized as security issue)
  • Non-Qubes-Whonix XFCE version: autologin for desktop is obvious and can be disabled but tty1 autologin would be a bad surprise to those who disable autologin for the desktop.
  • Is it worth it? Are those who get confused by host login the same users who accidentally downloaded the CLI rather than XFCE version and those users would be stranded after autologin anyhow?

Not easy to enable autologin for some versions only. Might require a new package which gets installed on CLI only.