Long Wiki Edits Thread

Forcing onion has been upated

https://whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Forcing_.onion_on_Whonix.org&oldid=36382&diff=cur

Converting the HTTPS-Everywhere user rules sqlite3 binary file to plain text file for editing, then back to a binary file looked promising in the beginning but turned out to be a dead end. If anyone would like a go at it or could give some advice. The issue is in the last step. Somehow the file is changed when converting from plaintext file back to a sqlite3 binary file

1. Install sqlite

sudo apt-get install sqlite3

2. Dump the https-everywhere rules data base to a plain text file.

sqlite3 storage-sync.sqlite .dump > https_rules.txt

3. Open the plaintext file in a text editor (make any edits)

nano https_rules.txt

4. Delete the old user rules file

rm storage-sync.sqlite

5. Create a new sqlite database with the updated user rule set.

cat https_rules.txt | sqlite3 storage-sync.sqlite

2 Likes

Spotted one mistake.

= License =

• {{License_Amnesia {{FULLPAGENAME}}}}

Why as Amnesia license added? Removed.

1 Like

For most pages {{Footer}} sorts out licensing perfectly.

{{License_Amnesia {{FULLPAGENAME}}}} is only required for a few pages imported from Tails a few years ago. Only pages that already have that which then get moved elsewhere may require it.

Pages that have it such as /Documentation also contains something like:

<!--
The Whonix Documentation wiki page is forked from the Tails Documentation page, from this exact source <http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob;f=wiki/src/doc.mdwn;hb=920ef988d1e8ed552f4e97d1423e0038e1bfbbf4>.
-->

Since years passed since then the link broke. Keep it anyhow as is. Not worth the effort. Copyright is being complied with. Still has enough information if someone wanted to dig. No one interested in this.

If we move content from such a page elsewhere we’d hack to check how the Tails page looked back then or looks now to see if we have to re-add that notice.

1 Like

Nice. I’ll have a play when I have some time.

Sorry - I had it in my head that was a bigger, badder version of the Whonix license (not Tails). :laughing: Noted - footer is enough.

Seems this formatting will never end, but I think it is starting to look much, much better than the mediawiki crap we had before.

Only issue is sometime very long foonotes (https refs) run over into the second column, but that is pretty trivial.

Another is it would be nice to be able to write:

Something.

INFO/WARNING BOX

Something else.

Without the box being so tight on the text surrounding it (vertically). But other than that it is great.

1 Like

We could have templates such as

{{warning|text=
warning text here
}}

Would that help?

Verfiy git tags/configure networking has been added to Bitmessage

https://whonix.org/w/index.php?title=E-Mail&oldid=38068&diff=cur

I’m going to replace 2 of the screenshots next login.

Bitmessage_gpg_key_fingerprint.pngTop margin is to small

Bitmessage_configure_networking.pngNeeds to be smaller

2 Likes

Awesome!

While we are at it… Does bitmessage belong to Email Overview? I mean shout it be on the Email Overview page? It’s not listed on Whonix ™ Documentation which might make it hard to find. I am writing might since I don’t really know how someone who’s interested in Whonix and bitmessage would search and then find or fail to find.

More generally asking… Would you think the wiki gets more usable by moving more things into dedicated wiki pages?

Like on the Instant Messenger Chat page. HexChat has its own page while Gajim and others do not.

1 Like

Looks like bitmessage has been moved by @torjunkie? :+1: I’m pressed for time atm so I’ll re-edit a little later on.

1 Like

Good work 0brand :slight_smile: Those who have technical skills and can write sensibly are rare.

I put all the BitMessage stuff on its own page (which it deserves & because of length) and put you as maintainer. Hope that is okay. Did some small edits too (I think your last two recorded edits were missed by me e.g. pic update etc).

On second thought, its not a big enough deal to worry about.

A little more cleaning up to do on the Email page and it will be done.

2 Likes

A few pages have been update. Minor edit mostly.

Considering I quite literally knew nothing and couldn’t write worth shit when I starting visiting Whonix.org. My tech skill and writing ability can be attributed to having great teachers. Some of the best IMO :wink:

Sounds good to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On Screenshots of Common Whonix ™ Activities the gpg import and config screenshots don’t really belong there. The Screenshots of Common Whonix ™ Activities page should just showcase what is possible with Whonix. Not detail instructions.

2 Likes

Email Overview → All fixed

Yes, some re-organization is required in this area for the main ToC and that Email section of the ToC in general.

We should be adding BitMessage and some others explicitly.

1 Like

OK, I can fix the Mixmaster page next.

I see the Dev/Mixmaster page has most of the proper installation / config etc settings, so why don’t I use all the good info from that page, merge with the main Mixmaster page, then you can later delete that Dev page?

I presume those instructions are still functional? Never played with it before.

Also, I gather all Re-mailers are not traditional email, so I put them under “alternatives” (since that is how they are described on the Email Overview page). Better split on ToC that way.

Basically all the wiki up to Anonymous Email section is tight now, so would like to keep editing from there down. Exception:

• “Testers” page - maybe 0brand and I can work through all the missing steps / instructions?
  • Also, we should finish off the DispVM page as a priority, as it is a bit of a mess.

Actually, I see 0brand had already cleaned up a lot of that page since I last had a look. :slight_smile:

Just did normal nit edits etc. Looks pretty good now, except for some TODOs (x3 I think).

I can do that :slight_smile: Maybe make instructions a little easier for less experienced users to follow. The more testers we have all the better for development.

Um…yes it was me :lying_face: I put a lot of hard work into that page :lying_face::lying_face:

I’ll start on the Qubes/DispVM first since it only has a few TODOs to complete.

I’ve also been working on sys-whonix DispVMs with persistent entry guards. Created using the instructions you and I authored for Service VMs (Qubes Docs). I’m hesitant to post until I have testing/research completed. In the past I posted DispVM hacks that were not safe to use but some forum members still insisted on using and even recommending to other users after Patrick asked then not to.

1 Like

torjunkie:

OK, I can fix the Mixmaster page next.

I see the Dev/Mixmaster page has most of the proper installation / config etc settings, so why don’t I use all the good info from that page, merge with the main Mixmaster page, then you can later delete that Dev page?

Dev/Mixmaster is just dev notes. /Mixmaster should be ok as is content wise.

I presume those instructions are still functional? Never played with it before.

Also, I gather all Re-mailers are not traditional email, so I put them under “alternatives” (since that is how they are described on the Email Overview page). Better split on ToC that way.

Basically all the wiki up to Anonymous Email section is tight now, so would like to keep editing from there down. Exception:

Alright. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes please - that would be great.

Missing technical steps is your thing :slight_smile:

Another one you might like to try is the Qubes Split Tor Browser, which is the solo empty entry in the Tor Browser section (thus annoying :wink: )

Also technical and right up your alley?

Then there are no pages in the top third (or so) of the ToC that have big missing sections.

2 Likes

we should have documentation about XMPP/Jabber , as we now include CoyIM by default in whonix.

once someone can write about it , then update here:

needs new screeshot:

as im having a problem with running whonixcheck, then one of you if possible can upgrade it.

2 Likes

I can do those as well, Qubes Split Tor Browser is something I’ve been wanting to have a go at for a while. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What screenshot are you replacing?

1 Like