Long Wiki Edits Thread

Qubes repository onion comments merged, yay! :slight_smile:

Please only after the package flew into Qubes stable (or with comment about any package from Qubes testing).

2 Likes

Yes, I now count all that Tor Entry Guard stuff, that commit, Electrum, that Linux Comparison FAQ entry, Multiple Whonix-Workstations fix, Security in the Real Word improvements, Onionizing page fixes for Obrand + more.

Now if we can just clone him/her x5 :wink:

Just these couple of edits still to approve:

(Remove all this text which was moved to Tor Entry Guards page)

http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/w/index.php?title=Tor&oldid=36551&diff=cur

(Corridor edits)

http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/w/index.php?title=Corridor&oldid=36487&diff=cur

BTW I see no complaints about the new wiki structure, entries and updates. The team’s edits seem to be keeping them happy (and they are a hard crowd to please).

Amount of forum traffic related to simple shit or complaints about non-working instructions has fallen dramatically IMHO over last 12-18 months.

2 Likes

Could you please look into metalink=?

Can it be an onion? Does that work? If yes, could you create a ticket and pull request please to add a comment?

1. Maybe rustybird knows a workaround for this in the corridor entry?

http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Corridor#Optional:_BridgeFirewall_corridor_Configuration

1. Add the following text.

TODO: This step is not currently functional.

BRIDGES=grep -Ei '^[[:space:]]*Bridge[[:space:]]' /usr/local/etc/torrc.d/*

Save.

2. This table here looks fine? Links work on both sides, why do we have this TODO line (just delete that line?)

http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/FAQ#Why_not_Merge_with_Tails_and_Collaborate.3F

TODO Broken since migration to whonix.org. Ignore for now.
(Previous) Tails TODO Whonix Instructions

3. This information →

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/VirtualBox/Security_and_Support_Status

That’s why the supported platforms table lists VirtualBox in the column ‘security’ with ‘testing’ for Linux, Windows and ‘experimental’ for Mac.

Is inconsistent with the “Production” status listed against the Windows and Linux platforms here (macOS as “Experimental”) →

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Download

So, one or the other needs to be fixed.

this is really horrible way to say at the top of an existed wiki that:

THIS WIKI PAGE IS DEPRECATED AND OUTDATED. PLEASE REFER TO THE BASIC SECURITY GUIDE SECTION HERE

since we have a separated deprecated section for deprecated pages, then its better to put that page (if its outdated) in that section. if some of its component are outdated then dont put at the top of the whole page that its outdated.

1. Table looks ok.

TODO Broken since migration to whonix.org. Ignore for now. can be removed.

1. Production

Cannot move to /Deprecated since tons of links from forums and external websites would break. These pages can no longer be found on search machines since NOINDEXed) No links to them from whonix.org anymore.

1 Like

An {{Anchor|...}}ed link to the correct section would be nice.

By removing all the contents from security guide alone and keeping headlines only gives me a small idea how much work it was to move all of that around.

Do you think you could link the old headlines on the deprecated to the new wiki pages?

Maybe just link Security Guide Onionizing Repositories to the new Onionizing Repositories wiki site? Convert the sub headlines Qubes Packages to anchors so you don’t have to fix up each and every sub headline, only the major pages? If that isn’t too much to ask?

I think it will (.onion metalink=). I 'll give it a try and submit pull request.

1 Like

Re Disable TCP and ICMP Timestamps - Kicksecure alphabetically sorting by name (Linux, Qubes, Windows…)

I don’t think generally the wiki should sort everything alphabetically. For example on the Instant Messenger Chat, I don’t like Retroshare on top. But also “starts with R” isn’t a good reason to move it to the bottom. Reasons for moving it more down:

• not the most recommended solution
  • lengthy installation instructions
  • no other best criteria
    • not the most usable client
    • not the most secure client
    • not the most privacy preserving client

Will reorder the chat clients now.

Should be able to fix that up.

No problem.

Anyhow, everything is now fully edited and links fixed up to the Anonymous Browsing section of ToC (most of that is done too).

Finally escaping the wiki security sections after a lifetime editing there is a big plus.

1 Like

Search Engines showing titles but when u click on them , it shows this one:

(to separate the wiki and divide them into small pieces is real misunderstanding of the wiki design itself. btw thats why there is a content section which mean no matter how long is the wiki u can still go through it easily).

If that was true, then we would have a single wiki page with every Whonix entry in it, and it would be longer than War and Peace.

And it would be just as useless, ugly, overwhelming, and hard to find anything logically, as was the case for those 3 sections before they were split. And it would not be “fixable” to address tickets related to simplification of those sections, as a large :poop: of a text cannot just be shifted on the TOC to fix logical problems re: where content logically belongs.

I know this because I’ve spent months in those documents and related text - probably longer than anyone else in the community in recent times, and I’ve basically touched every sentence.

Any search engine stuff will be updated over time, so no big loss. Stuff searched for locally works fine.

3 Likes

Moved install from testing instruction to wiki template https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Template:Install_Testing used here: How-to: Use Electrum Bitcoin Wallet in Whonix ™ so we can reuse it elsewhere. Very handy to have. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tor 3.4.8 upgrade - nice. :slight_smile:

Couple of issues re: wiki.

1. One person noted over in the Qubes issues tracker a valid point re: upgrading to Whonix 14, prior to a Qubes 4.0.1 release where it is the default. That is, we recommend the uninstalling of Whonix 13, then using Salt etc to download the new Whonix 14 version.

Problem is, clearnet download says to adversaries: “Look over here! I’m one of the few 10s of thousands that uses Whonix in Qubes. Please rape me at IP address XX.XXX.XXX.XX”?

2. We say in a few places that you should have the latest Tor Browser installed on the host (Qubes: a DebianBased AppVM?) to check Tor connectivity if Whonix is borked & to find a viable solution.

Fine, but I think the days of manual downloads from Tor Project, and key, and verifying on the command line are so 1999.

Why don’t we explicitly note in the wiki instead a preference for the torbrowser-launcher method instead (from stretch-backports):

TorBrowser - Debian Wiki

Install from official repository

Debian “experimental”

If not already done add the experimental repository to your sources.list.

printf "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/experimental.list
apt update

Using Terminal as Root execute the following command

apt install torbrowser-launcher -t experimental

Debian “Sid”

Users of Debian Sid (Unstable) can install torbrowser-launcher easily:

apt install torbrowser-launcher

Debian 9 “Stretch”

If not already done add the Backport repository to your sources.list.

printf "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch-backports.list
apt update

apt install torbrowser-launcher -t stretch-backports

To open Tor Browser choose one of the following two options

Option 1: Using GNOME, open the Activities Search. Simply type in Tor Browser

Option 2: Using Terminal as user run the following command 

torbrowser-launcher

The first time you open Tor Browser the new version will automatically be downloaded and installed. On every subsequent open a check for updates will be done, and Tor Browser will automatically be updated to the latest available version from the Backport repository. 

I like the torbrowser-launcher option by Micah (and @mig5?). I tested it, and unfortunately doesn’t work due to the new signing sub-key or whatever used by the Tor Project not yet being recognized.

No doubt it is a marked issue to fix and will be sorted shortly, but do you like this method @Patrick i.e. automate things?

Still on my TODO:

• Continue link fixes
  • Note upgrading kernel steps to address various threats recently discussed
  • General edits for awkward text etc.
1 Like

@torjunkie in my experience, micah’s program in the debian repos breaks often due to various changes done by torproject.org. i have not had a consistent enough positive experience that i think it is viable through the debian repos.

3 Likes

@Patrick

1. I still see jessie references here and there e.g.

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Template:Build_Documentation_Whonix_APT_Repository

You might want to do a global search and see if any critical pages / templates are affected and use the wiki variable for “current Debian version” instead so they always remain current.

2. Also, that testers page where there are blank sections - what does this signify? I gather it means that test is hard to complete in Whonix now i.e. new command line variables and/or just that stretch command line operations are different?

E.g.13 blank sections there currently (see below).

Any easy fixes with your command line expertise or those we can deprecate? @0brand might want to get on in this technical stuff too →

1. Install test wise new kernel.
  2. Test if arm’s new identity function is working.
  3. After logging in you should see Whonix help/welcome/disclaimer message.
  4. Test connecting to an obfsproxy bridge.
  5. Power off Whonix-Gateway. Try to ping outside or to use the browser in Whonix-Workstation. Obviously, should NOT work.
  6. Power on Whonix-Gateway again. Visit https://check.torproject.org/ with Tor Browser. You should see a “Congratulations”.
  7. Test Tor Button’s New Identity Feature.
  8. Note: Ping commands should NOT work for external addresses from your Whonix-Workstation, ICMP traffic[5] is not proxied, and filtered by Whonix’s Firewall (/usr/bin/whonix_firewall), because Tor does not support UDP.
  9. dig google.com must only return a single IP, compare with the output on Whonix-Gateway or Host.
  10. Setup an onion service on Whonix-Gateway and test if it works. You can access your own test onion service using Tor Browser.
  11. See if whonixcheck gets autostarted.
  12. Test HexChat, connect to a an SSL protected IRC server.
  13. Test HexChat, connect to a hidden IRC server.
1 Like

The FAQ page now wants to download some type of file when you click on the link instead of showing the relevant wiki page? :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry @torjunkie, that was an issue I accidentally re-introduced yesterday working on wiki codebase stuff. Fixed.

2 Likes

torjunkie:

@Patrick

1. I still see jessie references here and there e.g.

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Template:Build_Documentation_Whonix_APT_Repository

You might want to do a global search and see if any critical pages / templates are affected and use the wiki variable for “current Debian version” instead so they always remain current.

Already done. That one slipped through.

2. Also, that testers page where there are blank sections - what does this signify?

Just a stylistic choice. Once preformatted/code box per test item.

I gather it means that test is hard to complete in Whonix now i.e. new command line variables and/or just that stretch command line operations are different?

No. If stuff like "See if whonixcheck gets autostarted. " needs a
lengthily explanation, then the effort explaining how to do that would
be higher than the gain of having this tested.

E.g.13 blank sections there currently (see below).

Any easy fixes with your command line expertise or those we can deprecate? @0brand might want to get on in this technical stuff too

The more I think about it the less I think the /Test page is fixable /
anyone reading it. I doubt anyone is doing it.

For example it says:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

However we are not using that file anymore in Whonix.

cat: /etc/apt/sources.list: No such file or directory

Yet that was never questioned.

The solution:

Everything said on that page should be TODO items for whonixcheck as far
as that is possible. Everything else:

1 Like