Long Wiki Edits Thread

Now - I really have to - temporarily - undo your last commit on /Documentation. Otherwise…

The edit could not be undone due to conflicting intermediate edits.

I keep a list of undone edits and then manually reapply.

<translate>, </translate> and such I can later remove with mass search and replace. For now, I just try to identify rolled back pages and roll them back. Hard, since the translation removal is not part of the log.

torjunkie:

FAQ → Done (finally) :sweat_smile:

I think we should cut the tiny section existing in it’s own page (VFAQ) into the FAQ itself and delete that VFAQ page. And also shift up FAQ to the Download section on main TOC page.

Agree?

Yes. Feel free to move that page. Let the new FAQ be a FAQ and the VFAQ
can be moved elsewhere and/or moved to where appreciate.

Also some stuff like OpenBSD was a FAQ in past, but nowadays it’s not
being asked anymore. So FAQs naturally need cleanup. (So that
information could be moved elsewhere.) But perhaps no one asks about it
since the reply of this is easily found on google and the answer
prevents any further debate?

I think when you ran that auto-run on removing certain pages from translation in the last few days, it returned the page edits to their very old (rough) versions.

That should now all be sorted.

1 Like

Thank God, I had a heart attack when I saw that!

The “tvar” variable has broken almost every link on the main Documentation page, so I’ve removed them, plus the “[languages/]” insert which was appearing in plain text, instead of doing anything useful.

1 Like

You’ve opened up a can of worms. :slight_smile:

Now the related issue is wherever the following text appears in individual wiki pages (that’s a LOT):

• tvar
  • languages /
  • translate (ones you didn’t replace with “”)

It appears in plain text and/or breaks the embedded link. Damn.

Translation is a virus in mediawiki. Users should just be recommended to use Bing Translator which works in Tor Browser for whatever their issue is.

Hi Patrick & torjunkie

I just saw that well over half of the wiki TOC (links) are broken. Can I help?

2 Likes

Mass text replaced all over the wiki just now. Always when it’s a static textual string, it’s easy to change/remove a ton of them using that method. Even string matching is possible but I am not that good at it.

2 Likes

Hi 0brand,

Fixed that one, thanks!

However, Patrick’s crusade against translations has broken multiple links on individual web pages. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is, where before something was ready to be translated with “tvar”, now breaks the link. Plus the auto deletion that’s been done has affected white space on various pages e.g. instead of one carriage return between paragraphs, you might get two etc.

See where I just fixed the Advanced Security Guide for example.

So, if you want to help you could scan some of the main pages, search for “tvar”, and edit those out so links are fixed. Secondly, you could fix white spacing here and there. Unless there’s a reason not to @Patrick

If you search for the term “special:recentchanges” in the Whonix search bar, you can identify pages which have like been affected i.e. those where Patrick has removed “translations”, “languages” and so on.

BTW thank you for all your efforts in the forums. It saves devs like Patrick, HulaHoop, iry, troubadour, algernon etc. from wasting their valuable dev time on simple questions. So that helps development along.

Request: when you point out good steps - like where i ripped off your text for the FAQ on testing Tor connection speed - please add it to the wiki. Another example is where you talked about theft of private keys for v2 onions. That would be a great footnote in the “Onionizing Repositories” section.

The broader community seems hesitant to edit the wiki for some reason? I enjoy it myself, but I’d certainly welcome your smashing some pages - particularly those that are older, untouched for some time, have convoluted English, poor formatting, or dated research & conclusions.

(which reminds me, editors should probably cut and paste the wiki text into a text editor and do all their changes there, rather than maintaining long-lived connection to the Whonix server each time. Then when finished, cut and paste back into the wiki, preview change, submit, with no Javascript [who cares about attribution]. Rinse, repeat.)

Basically there’s years of editing work here to try to raise it to a proper documentation standard if we’re honest. That includes significant re-organization of content, but that is less important than clear instructions and filling in the gaps for people who are NOT geeks i.e. they just came from Windows or similar.

I’d like to see a bunch of pages listed in “Whonix Overview” finished off for edits, because then that way the top section of the TOC is pretty well done (at least for first round edits) i.e. Modern Privacy Threats, Whonix Overview, Download Whonix, First Whonix Steps, Whonix and Host System Security -> all done.

Further down, the quality of the docs is lower, although Tor Browser was already significantly reworked, plus things like DisposableVMs etc.

It’s incredible how much content there is here.

2 Likes

tvar’s also mass replaced. Only caveat: might have messed up some white spaces. Some headlines may be broken due to missing new line. I.e. trailing = followed by text rather than new line.

Whenever you see on Login required - Whonix Text replacement, there is danger something broke, check the latest revision of that page.

1 Like

If you’re waiting for any sign-offs, please remind me, since I would have forgotten by now.

This could use rewording as well as general suggestions.

I think just the Whonix Release notes page (added a couple of bullet points).

No problem, I’ll get to the Investor page soon(ish).

1 Like

Didn’t see or already reviewed a while ago. From my point of view, and as per Permission error - Whonix, all pages reviewed. :slight_smile:

Hi torjunkie

Sorry It took so long to reply. I switched to Qubes 4 a few days ago and have been troubleshooting a connection problem. :weary: I just figured out the problem so I will start scanning the pages (tomorrow).

Thats why I do it. Plus I enjoy helping people out and its a good way learn about Whonix. For the most part I poach most of my info from posts by you, Patrcik, iry etc. Its kinda like your answering but though me. :smile:

I was hesitant about adding new content to the wiki. I figured It was hard for me to navigate at times when I’m looking for something so I was worried about cluttering up the wiki. From now on I won’t be shy.

I was going to ask if you need help sooner but I was a little involved with some other things (started studying bash). I have more free time now so I can start on helping with that. It may take a little time to get up to speed on wiki editing but its something I’d like to help out with.

It makes things so much easier. Don’t have to worry about bad connection lag when typing. Like I’m having now. Plus, for anonymity you want to get on and off as quick as you can.

A lot of stuff can be consolidated which would make navigating easier. These pages are also the ones that see the most traffic IMO so I also think they should be done first.

2 Likes

I went and made some minor edits in the Whonix Overview. You already did the first round but I wanted to add a few things. I value brutal honesty so feed back is always welcome!

https://www.whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&oldid=32701&diff=cur

I’d like to see a bunch of pages listed in “Whonix Overview” finished off for edits

Any page in particular you would like me to start?

1 Like

Thanks 0brand! Made some further changes:

• white space
  • “Internet” is capitalized in US style guides
  • minor nits for readability/grammar
  • remove “you/your”
  • simplify sentence structure
  • etc.

Would you mind starting edits on these pages (under Whonix Overview section) which are badly in need of editor love :slight_smile:

• “Leak Protection”
  • “Anonymity Operating System Comparison”
  • […] (other pages after that)

I’ve already done Whonix Overview for First Time Visitors, Design and Goals, Features and Advantages in that area.

Basically, if you’re happy to start, I’ll just come look at your edits afterwards and make any further suggested changes.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I just started on this. Whom ever created this page did a great Job!! I Have a couple questions:

• I think sometime change is good. Would it be OK if I did a partial/complete re-right? If yes I will post the general layout when complete (for feedback)

• If I were to ask for and receive permission to use another persons work, does the email (giving permission) need to be archived somewhere?

//cc @Patrick

Reminder:

I’m fairly new at this so I may take me a little longer than some of the more experienced/knowledgeable editors.

2 Likes

Hi 0brand,

I see no reason why not (re: total re-writes). In general, as Patrick signs off on stuff, easiest for him to review is:

• Edit content only (hit submit).
  • Next shift content around, add tables etc (hit submit).

That way it’s easier for him to see what actually changed.

Re: attribution for work, I’d just footnote directly with ref tags i.e. if their stuff is in the public domain, then it is fair game for referencing as per normal research procedures.

The exception would be long excerpts from research / books / other, which would probably require permission beforehand (which could also just be referenced e.g. like has been done for material ripped from JonDonym - “We would like to thank XXX for permission to use material from their book / site / etc.”)

2 Likes

Investors page -> Fixed.

OK, I think I’m mostly up-to-date on backlog of edits, except for Email (setting up encryption keys etc.) & dealing with the orphaned pages.

Since the Email entry will take forever and I’m putting it off, I suggest:

• Start looking at the orphaned pages 1st; or
  • Help 0brand finish off the remaining pages under “Whonix Overview” on the main page which haven’t see first round edits.

If there is no preference, I’ll flip a coin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

0brand:

• If I were to ask for and receive permission to use another persons work, does the email (giving permission) need to be archived somewhere?
    It’s best to have a public statement or gpg signed e-mail that can be
    published. Then making a backup using webcitation or so. Or material
    that was released under a Free license. We must make sure the permission
    won’t be revoked after a few years running into a legal issue.
1 Like