Long Wiki Edits Thread

Off topic:

1. ⚓ T422 keep an eye on tor-monitor

Can be closed.

Since it was renamed to onioncircuits, packaged in Debian (onioncircuits - Debian Package Tracker) and iry had this added to Whonix 14 (anon-workstation-packages-recommended) already:

onioncircuits - Viewing the status and circuits of Tor

2. ⚓ T399 Switch Debian links in sources.list to .onion (.onions in sources list) is noted as done for Whonix 14, so I presume it can also be closed.

1 Like

On Template “Payments”, suggest you change:

This is not tax advice. Corporations who purchase priority support packages may be able to tax deduct these as an expense. Ask a tax advisor.

To →

This does not constitute tax advice. Corporations who purchase priority support packages may be able to claim these as tax-deductible expenses. First consult a tax advisor.

The HTTPSEverywhereUserRules trick introduced in Adding User Rules section does not work anymore for me. This is probably due to the Web-extension migration on HTTPSEverywhere.

I have submitted an issue to see how we can get it work:

3 Likes

I got the answer from the HTTPSEverywhere developer:

HTTPSEverywhereUserRules/ is not supported with WebExtensions and won’t be supported. My understanding is that security restrictions for WebExtensions block it from reading from the filesystem in the way that the HTTPSEverywhereUserRules/ approach needed.

I have updated the Wiki page:

4 Likes

torjunkie:

On Template “Payments”, suggest you change:

This is not tax advice. Corporations who purchase priority support packages may be able to tax deduct these as an expense. Ask a tax advisor.

To →

This does not constitute tax advice. Corporations who purchase priority support packages may be able to claim these as tax-deductible expenses. First consult a tax advisor.

Done. :slight_smile:

(Plus another small change.)

1 Like

Should we ever move away from mediawiki to another web app… Please veto if you dislike the editing usability of the new web app…

I guess there is a reason why the Qubes website gets relatively fewer contributions… Github web editing is not comfortable…

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Forcing .onion on Whonix.org

Good read on USB security:

FAQ -> Done (finally) :sweat_smile:

I think we should cut the tiny section existing in it’s own page (VFAQ) into the FAQ itself and delete that VFAQ page. And also shift up FAQ to the Download section on main TOC page.

Agree?

@Patrick

I think when you did that auto-run on removing certain pages from translation in the last few days, it returned the page edits (including some templates) to their very old (rough) versions.

E.g. look at the Advanced Security Guide. It’s back to where it was a year ago (?) before I spent weeks (months?) fixing it up. There are multiple other pages like that.

Please revert that change, or whatever caused it. It would be very, very painful to try and track down each individual page manually that is back to old, dodgy English and revert them to latest edits.

I also noted Whonix Release Notes disappeared off the main TOC (why? same reason when doing some auto thing on the main documentation page?)

I’ll hold off on edits till then, because if all that work is lost for good… :tired_face:

I see it also affected DoNot, various templates etc.

Could also explain bad links and comments like this on Twitter today:

@Whonix Fix download link for virtualbox gateway/workstation!
View details · Reply Retweet Like

Weird. :confused: Thanks for noticing. Hopefully I figure out how to fix that.

It was never added as far as I know. For sure didn’t manually remove it. Thanks for adding it!

It’s official: I hate mediawiki translate extension!

If you find a broken page… Please go to history… Page → History

Permission error - Whonix

(Removed page from translation) (rollback 10 edits | undo)

I will try that.

1 Like

Do you have a list of some examples of broken pages?

The good news is nothing is lost. For once, we have mysql backups (but then we’d loose the work after the translation unmark, so we’d need to back that up first before we roll back). Also not sure forum and wiki can be separately restored, fortasse would know. Secondly, if we can identify the broken pages, the rollback can be rolled back.

Basically just undo Removed page from translation. Not rollback. (That would rollback any changes by me alter later ones.)

1 Like

Now - I really have to - temporarily - undo your last commit on /Documentation. Otherwise…

The edit could not be undone due to conflicting intermediate edits.

I keep a list of undone edits and then manually reapply.

<translate>, </translate> and such I can later remove with mass search and replace. For now, I just try to identify rolled back pages and roll them back. Hard, since the translation removal is not part of the log.

torjunkie:

FAQ → Done (finally) :sweat_smile:

I think we should cut the tiny section existing in it’s own page (VFAQ) into the FAQ itself and delete that VFAQ page. And also shift up FAQ to the Download section on main TOC page.

Agree?

Yes. Feel free to move that page. Let the new FAQ be a FAQ and the VFAQ
can be moved elsewhere and/or moved to where appreciate.

Also some stuff like OpenBSD was a FAQ in past, but nowadays it’s not
being asked anymore. So FAQs naturally need cleanup. (So that
information could be moved elsewhere.) But perhaps no one asks about it
since the reply of this is easily found on google and the answer
prevents any further debate?

I think when you ran that auto-run on removing certain pages from translation in the last few days, it returned the page edits to their very old (rough) versions.

That should now all be sorted.

1 Like

Thank God, I had a heart attack when I saw that!

The “tvar” variable has broken almost every link on the main Documentation page, so I’ve removed them, plus the “[languages/]” insert which was appearing in plain text, instead of doing anything useful.

1 Like

You’ve opened up a can of worms. :slight_smile:

Now the related issue is wherever the following text appears in individual wiki pages (that’s a LOT):

• tvar
  • languages /
  • translate (ones you didn’t replace with “”)

It appears in plain text and/or breaks the embedded link. Damn.

Translation is a virus in mediawiki. Users should just be recommended to use Bing Translator which works in Tor Browser for whatever their issue is.

Hi Patrick & torjunkie

I just saw that well over half of the wiki TOC (links) are broken. Can I help?

2 Likes