Long Wiki Edits Thread

Updated Features and Advantages in response for a generic answer.

new wiki page:

and new related templates:

Anonymize Other Operating Systems is the first wiki page where this is being used. Will be added to other wiki pages as needed.

This enhancement might be useful to mention in the chat section. Basically people can use OnionShare 2.3 to set up an onion address for secure E2E chats.

The main benefit is users can have anonymous chats without needing to set up any accounts e.g. “… a whistleblower can send an OnionShare address to a journalist using a disposable e-mail address, and then wait for the journalist to join the chat room, all without compromising their anonymity.”

Another major new feature is chat. You start a chat service, it gives you an OnionShare address, and then you send this address to everyone who is invited to the chat room (using an encrypted messaging app like Signal, for example). Then everyone loads this address in a Tor Browser, makes up a name to go by, and can have a completely private conversation.

If you’re already using an encrypted messaging app, what’s the point of an OnionShare chat room? It leaves fewer traces.

If, for example, you send a message to a Signal group, a copy of your message ends up on each device (the devices, and computers if they set up Signal Desktop of each member of the group). Even if disappearing messages is turned on it’s hard to confirm all copies of the messages are actually deleted from all devices, and from any other places (like notifications databases) they may have been saved to. OnionShare chat rooms don’t store any messages anywhere, so the problem is reduced to a minimum.

OnionShare chat rooms can also be useful for people wanting to chat anonymously and securely with someone without needing to create any accounts. For example, a whistleblower can send an OnionShare address to a journalist using a disposable e-mail address, and then wait for the journalist to join the chat room, all without compromising their anonymity.

Because OnionShare relies on Tor onion services, connections between the Tor Browser and OnionShare are all end-to-end encrypted (E2EE). When someone posts a message to an OnionShare chat room, they send it to the server through their E2EE onion connection. The OnionShare server then forwards the message to all other members of the chat room through the other members’ E2EE onion connections, using WebSockets. OnionShare doesn’t implement any chat encryption on its own. It relies on the Tor onion service’s encryption instead.

1 Like

Bot protection at sign-up.

About which operating system this website is about? Use all lower case for your answer.

Proper English? Edit suggestions?

What operating system is this website about? Type your answer in all lower case.

2 Likes

Split done:

new wiki pages:

discussion here:

Google launches a spectrev1 test page using JS for Intel CPUs. Where should this be listed?

1 Like

Not sure this page should duplicate most contents:

Main page:

Related wiki template:

Split:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Finding Backdoors in Freedom Software vs Non-Freedom Software

A post was split to a new topic: Whonix Security Roadmap

A post was merged into an existing topic: OnionShare Whonix integration development discussion

A post was split to a new topic: Tor Myths and Misconceptions page

Firefox vs Chromium seems great in theory, but there are a few issues with that:

• Chrome is non-freedom software → Avoid Non-Freedom Software
  • Chrome is NOT Chromium.
  • The conclusion “use Chromium instead” would have been wrong. See:
1 Like

I think you misunderstood my second point. Since it is on the Tor Myths and Misconceptions page, it is to highlight that any serious adversary would pwn your ass in two seconds flat if they wanted to. Many newbies or common users don’t understand that - so their misconceptions should be shattered.

I didn’t mean to insinuate that Chrome/Chromium is a suitable alternative, or should be run over Tor etc. If you read it that way, all that needs to be added at the bottom is this sentence:

Despite Tor Browser’s various security weaknesses, alternative browsers should not be used in the Whonix platform:

• this would pose a serious fingerprinting risk
  • users may be vulnerable to critical unpatched vulnerabilities [ref]In recent history remotely exploitable vulnerabilities remained unpatched in Linux repositories for extended periods for alternative browsers (like Chromium).[/ref]
  • proprietary browsers like Chrome are antithetical to privacy
1 Like

Yes, I guess it could be misinterpreted that way.

That sounds good! Please add.

Done.

2 Likes

Page moved:

New page:

How do you like that documentation style?

Background:

Paraphrasing a user question “I didn’t update for a while and I wouldn’t update before enabling that feature but I don’t have that feature installed yet.”

But that’s not what that feature was supposed to communicate.