Long Wiki Edits Thread

OK - JonDonym entry updated (as well as Logging into Captive Portals page).

Only GNUnet needs some love in that section, and it looks pretty good.

1 Like

Suggestions

If I was nitpicking the main whonix.org page, which I am:

All activity in a virtual machine, all internet traffic through Tor® network

→ (change to)

All activity in a virtual machine, all internet traffic through the Tor® network

Whonix is the best way to use Tor® and is strongest protection of your IP address.

Whonix is the best way to use Tor® and provides the strongest protection of your IP address.

Different applications are routed through different paths through the Tor® network.

Distinct applications are routed through different paths in the Tor® network.

AppArmor profiles to restrict the capabilities of commonly used, high-risk applications.

AppArmor profiles restrict the capabilities of commonly used, high-risk applications.

anonymity, privacy and security settings pre-configuration

Anonymity, privacy and security settings pre-configuration

Run Android Application using anbox.

Run Android Application using Anbox.

Additional Security Hardening measures and user education through Whonix provide better protection from viruses.

Additional security hardening measures and user education through Whonix provide better protection from viruses.

Visit any website including modern websites such as YouTube.

Visit any destination including modern websites such as YouTube.

Whonix is the safest way to Onion Services .

Whonix is the safest way to host Onion Services.

Whonix is Freedom Software and contains software developed by the Free Software Foundation and the GNU Project .

→ (full stop move)

Whonix is Freedom Software and contains software developed by the Free Software Foundation and the GNU Project.

Which improves security and privacy for everyone.

This improves security and privacy for everyone.

Interested in becoming an investor? See Project Metrics .

→ (full stop move)

Interested in becoming an investor? See Project Metrics.

2 Likes

Excellent. Applied all changes. I really like all nitpick fixes!

(If anything wasn’t applied, then I make by mistake.)

The image associated with “Vibrant Community” seems to have gone AWOL on that page?

Also:

• the “Warrant Canary” section should probably have a picture of a pretty yellow canary, instead of a tropical parrot. I’m sure @nurmagoz could find a nice one.
  • the “Upcoming Security Enhancements” title is not centered, like every other one on the page. Not sure if easy to fix or not.
  • I realize that I missed this one: “Run Android Application using Anbox.” -> “Run Android applications using Anbox.”
1 Like

torjunkie via Whonix Forum:

The image associated with “Vibrant Community” seems to have gone AWOL on that page?

Strange. Works for me.

• the “Upcoming Security Enhancements” title is not centered, like every other one on the page. Not sure if easy to fix or not.

It’s centered but maybe you can’t see that image next to it.

• I realize that I missed this one: “Run Android Application using Anbox.” → “Run Android applications using Anbox.”

Fixed.

@Patrick

Nothing controversial here awaiting approval, just a summary of the main article with a practical example for the reader:

http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/w/index.php?title=One_Time_Pad&stable=0&redirect=no

1 Like

It’s a really long article. And it’s not my strongest area of knowledge. There’s some people only waiting for any nit they can pick to proof the point they’d love to make.

Can anyone else help this article Physical One-time Pad ?

//cc @HulaHoop

Wickr: Difference between revisions - Whonix - not sure it’s fully Open Source.

GitHub - WickrInc/wickr-crypto-c: An implementation of the Wickr Secure Messaging Protocol in C is only crypto core. Wikipedia says it’s proprietary. Possibly only partial source code release.

1 Like

I don’t think AMD’s SP should be mentioned on Out-of-band Management Technology - Kicksecure

It’s not similar to the ME and isn’t a security risk. It’s the opposite. The SP is a security feature used for TEEs.

None of those arguments make sense. Obviously the CPU is privileged. The SP is no different from the rest of the CPU. The SP specifically is not an issue. TEEs are important. Why are Intel SGX, ARM TrustZone, RISC-V MultiZone etc. not mentioned there too if you think it’s such an issue?

Everything has vulnerabilities. You cannot expect the SP to be any different.

Arguably too cumbersome for me to personally do/take interest in. I like the software tool better. However @torjunkie seems to have done a great job formatting the process from the paper in:

http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/w/index.php?title=One_Time_Pad&stable=0&redirect=no

Do you need permission from the paper author to quote him to release the edit or what’s the problem?

1 Like

HulaHoop via Whonix Forum:

Do you need permission from the paper author to quote him to release the edit or what’s the problem?

I didn’t notice yet it was based on a paper. Now I did.

Yes, requires permission for sure. Paper doesn’t say it’s under any
libre license. Therefore defaults to copyrighted. Severity: blocker.

Links to website http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/ quote:

This website is created for educational purposes and its content and
images are protected by international copyright laws. If you would like
to use the content of this website, please ask first and permission will
usually be granted under the condition that full credits and a link to
this website are given.

Another problem is that I would need to learn a lot more about the
subject or verification of authority.

Could you please remove the copyrighted content? @torjunkie

I’d remove it but I don’t want the formatting to be lost. Therefore feel
free to backup for own use.

Contacted

Name: Whonix Dev
E-mail address: whonix-devel@whonix.org
Subject: Use of text from paper on OTP
Your message: Hi Dirk, I am contacting you for permission to quote from your paper on our wiki for manually encoding OTP messages. The Whonix project is an online anonymity distro based on Tor and Debian.
3 Likes

Thanks @HulaHoop - really appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Issues with hardware recommendations for other operating systems maintained by others, i.e. Qubes. Related documentation:

Issue specifically:

Qubes-Whonix Security: Difference between revisions - Whonix

Qubes (used to? still has) issues with other graphic cards. Best would be to stay out of hardware recommendations for Qubes and leave that to Qubes.

Issue generally:

• the information might get outdated
  • the information might get contested (such as above). Time consuming to reason about, providing references.
  • it’s overextending the scope of Whonix project

The best place for Qubes hardware recommendations should be Qubes places, i.e. probably mostly Qubes website. If information on that website is bad, contribute to it. And if that’s not an option, well, bad luck but still not good to do that task for Whonix to maintain.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: [feature request] onionshare support

Kicksecure - Secure by Default Operating System needs a rewrite/removal.

It’s dishonest to claim Kicksecure (even when all the hardening work is complete) is as secure as mobile platforms. Those have decades of work gone into hardening the security model.

Security is not just a checklist of features. Kicksecure’s sandboxing/MAC/verified boot/etc. isn’t even near iPhone/Android and there are numerous security enhancements in phones such as modern exploit mitigations or widespread memory safe languages that are not achievable with Kicksecure.

The claim that most Android devices have locked bootloaders is also dubious. Unlocking the bootloader and even using custom keys is part of the reference implementation.

And again, GNU/FSF are not good sources.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Wickr Me vs Qubes-Whonix Persistence

OpenBazaar many users using it inside whonix , i get many questions about it. It would be nice if someone can contribute to fill the instructions about it.

But firstly can we have please wiki section for it? So that outside contributors can fill it as well.

I see here OpenBazaar in the wiki “Deprecated” section (dont know why):

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Deprecated#OpenBazaar

Hmm… ZeroNet various websites always results in this error: “Content.JSON Download Failed”. JS allowed on 127.0.0.1 and can see a number of peers so not sure what the problem is. Maybe like I2P you have to let it run for a long time beforehand?

Logs also show for various website attempts: “ContentDb not initialized, load files from filesystem…”

Have you succeeded in Qubes-Whonix @Patrick. Does about:config need some more tweaking perhaps? The home page works okay.

PS @madaidan Don’t waste all your talents & time on those reddit trolls. It’s like screaming into the void.

Spend more time over here doing your great development work! :slight_smile:

2 Likes