Long Wiki Edits Thread

Links to this page required:

i think removing /download will fix the names of the downloaded files

HulaHoop via Whonix Forum:

This might help to reason more about why verification of software signatures makes sense. For threat modeling.

As soon as the user has the signing key and understands software verification, later breaches would be detectable. In the threat model under which a user is never presented the original (or any) signing key (MITM from day 1), software signature verification of course fails.

2 Likes

I was inspired by simple.wikipedia. Let’s compare “normal” wikipedia article on Tax with simple wikipedia.

Tax - Wikipedia

A tax (from the Latin taxo ) is a compulsory financial charge or some other type of levy imposed upon a taxpayer (an individual or legal entity) by a governmental organization in order to fund various public expenditures.[1] A failure to pay, along with evasion of or resistance to taxation, is punishable by law. Taxes consist of direct or indirect taxes and may be paid in money or as its labour equivalent. The first known taxation took place in Ancient Egypt around 3000–2800 BC.

Tax - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tax is money that people have to pay to the government.

The government uses the money it gets from taxes to pay for things. For example, taxes are used to pay for people who work for the government, such as the military and police, provide services such as education and health care, and to maintain or build things like roads, bridges and sewers.

“Normal” wikipedia is rather hard to understand by comparison with simple wikipedia. Especially for non-native English speakers. Simple wikipedia style will influence my further writings. Using short sentences rather than long, complex sentences. One idea. One sentence. Using simple, common words rather than fancy words. At least as far as introductions, user documentation goes. For some subjects (technical details) it may not be possible or silly. Other principles / ideas for simplification welcome.

1 Like

More technical users will probably find the more complex sentences easier to understand and far more descriptive.

Maybe have the default the complex version but add a simpler section for non-technical users e.g. https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Simple/Tor, similar to simple.wikipedia.org.

1 Like

Default will be the simple version. Example:

I do recognize that what often right now is coined “simple” is still often still non-simple. Even if our audience is still only/mostly highly technical users, there is a spectrum within that audience from “barley highly technical” to “super highly technical”.

This directional goal was announced long time ago here: upcoming usability improvements that will hurt, TLS downloads, abolishing torrent downloads Might not have been implemented strictly, consistently.

Either I get older, lower attention spawns or more and and more tasks flooding or I dunno. However, when researching things, I myself often prefer to be presented simple explanation first before digging deeper.

1 Like

Links in TOC (etc.?) needed:

Mediawiki extensions for better links installed. ([ticket]( mediawiki extensions to install for better links))

Extension:RottenLinks - MediaWiki

Installed. See:
Status of external links - Whonix

Extension:LinkToArchive - MediaWiki

Installed. It does not actually archive links. It adds an [archive] link behind all external links. Clicking on it will show that some of them are indeed archived. Others can be archived if we instruct web archive of doing so. This is a manual process.

Extension:LinkSuggest - MediaWiki

Installed. See screenshot on how to use:

How can I edit articles on the wiki? Can someone please confirm my account?

1 Like

Just press any EDIT button.

This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation.

User accounts don’t need confirmation. Accounts are optional but useful for attribution in wiki history.

I don’t see any wiki user discotest. Wiki user name?

Sign up seems to work. Last signup was 08:14, 3 November 2019 according to Login required - Whonix but could be a bug printing account creation. Please create an account and let me know how that goes. What’s the process, any error messages…

Planing a makeover of Whonix homepage, i.e.

Whonix has a ton of features, cool stuff but it’s self-presentation is lacking. Inspired by:

Previously already collected notable media mentions which might help now:

I’ve created ToDo for Kicksecure ™ Wiki Devs as a scratchpad. It provides the bullet points, copytext, inspiration on what to put on the homepage. Please feel free to help with that too.

1 Like

Looks good.

You’ve been very busy lately :slight_smile:

I’d like to finish off the Anonymous Chat section sooner rather than later. But updating the Encrypted Email entry requires @tempest to upload his updated email guide (he’s still fixing it so not on his .onion these days)

Old edits in that section still awaiting approval:

1. Nymservers and Pseudonymous Emails -> 3 pending edits
  2. Remailers: Send Emails without Registration -> 7 pending edits

I’ll just keep working on some pages here and there (time permitting) in the meantime. There are a few messy areas in the lower section of the wiki main page e.g. Tunnels, Appendix, Money etc. that need editing love.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

//cc maintainer @HulaHoop

1 Like

Good stuff keep it coming :slight_smile:

1 Like

do you have the last version i did that was up for about a week? if you have a version that was using danwin1210.me as the server, nothing has changed and nothing is going to change at the moment. i don’t believe there’s been any major developments there.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

I downloaded a version maybe 3 (4?) months ago. I think from http://yuxv6qujajqvmypv.onion/ (now dead?) But I can’t find it of course…

Is the 3 July 2019 version okay (the email section) i.e. up-to-date for our purposes? If so, if it can be temporarily made available here:

http://3umbdqlq6ua5phshdybecnljfpo7mb7fn2zimio77uxjkbxezau5obid.onion/anonguide.pdf

Then I’ll grab it. Or I can wait until you rework it completely.

Sorry about the delay.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: password advice wiki page enhancements

new wiki page:

2 Likes

1. Please add the Multiple image template for Whonix wiki.

See here: Template:Multiple image/doc - MediaWiki

Then we can stack multiple images horizontally, change their size, and links, descriptions etc. without them automatically stacking vertically as is the case currently.

Looks bad when many are done in succession e.g. Anonymous Money page. If we had that template, we could do something like this instead there:

{{multiple image
| align = center
| width = 128
| image1=BC Logo .png | alt1=Bitcoin | link1=Bitcoin
| image2=Electrum-appimage.png | alt2=Electrum Bitcoin | link2=electrum
| image3=Monero-symbol-1280.png | alt3=Monero | link3=Monero
| image4=bank-gray-md.png | alt4=Bank Wire | link4=Bank Wire
}}

2. Also, that annoying footer we have with shit listed vertically, instead of horizontally, I see various sites talk about using ‘display: inline’ or ‘inline-block’ for that purpose - not sure how hard (or possible?) to implement in mediawiki. The online mediawiki footer entries don’t seem very helpful.

e.g. html - How to horizontally center an unordered list of unknown width? - Stack Overflow

The solution, if your list items can be display: inline is quite easy:

#footer { text-align: center; }
#footer ul { list-style: none; }
#footer ul li { display: inline; }

However, many times you must use display:block on your

• s. The following CSS will work, in this case:

#footer { width: 100%; overflow: hidden; }
    #footer ul { list-style: none; position: relative; float: left; display: block; left: 50%; }
    #footer ul li { position: relative; float: left; display: block; right: 50%; }

• OR

Use the below css to solve your issue

#footer{ text-align:center; height:58px;}
    #footer ul { font-size:11px;}
    #footer ul li {display:inline-block;}

1 Like