Long Wiki Edits Thread

0brand via Whonix Forum:

How about adding this to qubes documentation?

Great idea!

That would give it more exposure.

Made a few changes to onionizing repositories. Merging the Onionizing Tor project updates didn’t work out. It just didn’t look right regardless of how it was formatted. I’m going to move to Installing Newer Tor Versions (tomorrow). Also working on the templates for inspecting the repository files. We currently have instructions to “test” repositories after onionizing, but beginners likely don’t know what that means.

https://whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Onionizing_Repositories&oldid=47020&diff=cur

1 Like

Does Install Additional Software Safely belong to that page?

Migrated Tor Project Updates to Tor Versioning.

https://whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Tor_Versioning&oldid=45957&diff=cur

https://whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Onionizing_Repositories&oldid=47092&diff=cur

1 Like

Could you add content to Hardware Threat Minimization - Kicksecure please? @HulaHoop

1 Like

@HulaHoop i cant install or do any step with your installation instructions. Please whenever you are free update your instructions to be fitting with Debian Buster as a host.

1 Like

To make sure users are clear it’s non-Tor, I’d add “clearnet” somewhere (or perhaps another “non-Tor” synonym if there is any).

• Hardened Clearnet Browser
  • Secure Clearnet Browser
2 Likes

These links added in Tor Browser: Difference between revisions - Whonix conflicts with the Whonix way of getting new versions (Tor Browser Updater by Whonix developer).

What step exactly? I always update the guide to follow what Debian version is stable at the moment.

1 Like

The leaks mentioned in Filesharing and Torrenting only apply when used outside of Whonix. At the moment it sounds like Whonix users would be affected too. Can we point that out without making it an invitation?

Found the perfect spot for Tor Browser without Tor. I’ll rename this page Security / privacy enhanced browsers.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/w3m/

I’ll have to modify the the content for Qubes but most of the page can be copied as is (with attribution).

1 Like

--baseuri is unfortunately not implemented. I didn’t have ideas how to do it back then. Perhaps standardize instructions and have user do it manually similar to all other instructions?

That would be easier for users unfamiliar with Whonix apt repo.

1 Like

The issue of burdensome and repetitive instructions on a single page regarding the different ways to edit a text file was discussed before. I was recently surprised to find this taking place even on the KVM installation instructions page.

I would like to suggest the following be added to the top of every guide-style page that requires editing text files:

Editing text files
In this guide [/page] we use nano [optional: link to a very quick guide, added below] as a text editor. If you prefer a graphical editor use mousepad (on XFCE) or kwrite (on KDE).
For example, instead of:

nano filename [or always sudo nano?]

use

kdesudo mousepad filename

Then, all the instructions throughout the page will only use nano instead of the repeated clause "if you are using… then… ".

To make things more friendly I wrote the following “very quick guide” mentioned above (should appear on a dedicated page, containing only that):

Nano is a popular and simple text editor in Linux. Basic usage:

• Open the file for editing by typing in terminal:

nano filename

• If the file was created by root, we need to use sudo to get proper privileges:

sudo nano filename

• If you try to edit a file that does not exist, nano will create the file.

Essential keyboard shortcuts:

• To save: CTRL-O
  • To Exit: CTRL-X
  • Moving the cursor is done using the arrow keys or Page Up and Page Down. Mouse click does not move the cursor.

More keyboard shortcuts:

• To delete a full line: move to that line, then press CTRL-K
  • To search: press CTRL-W, then type the text you wish to find, then ENTER.

Formatting can be improved of course.
More can be added, but I think it’s unnecessary. Better keep it short. Even the search function is probably not required for the tasks users are expected to follow throughout the guides. We may add:

For the complete features, type

man nano

1 Like

Yes if we talk about stable which is stretch then that might be still working , but im using now buster and testing it with vbox-whonix-15. so instructions for e.g which doesnt work like

virsh -c qemu:///system net-define Whonix-External.xml

It says:

error: failed to get network ‘Whonix-External’
error: Network not found: no network with matching name ‘Whonix-External’

This one i faced in buster , i dunno if something changed as well in stretch.

1 Like

No problem. BTW I forget why the v3 onion Whonix download links were removed form the relevant template(s)?

I saw someone (not me) editing KVM instructions talking about this exact naming issue (and name change) recently? Didn’t look closely, but something about Whonix (or external?) being dropped from network name.

1 Like

I dunno if thats the case then again wiki instructions must be updated to solve this issue.

1 Like

This ticket has some nice resources for testing screen resolution leaks from Tor Browser.

Where can I add this?

1 Like

Browser Tests - Whonix fits and add a link from Tor Browser Advanced Topics too?

1 Like