Long Wiki Edits Thread

Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks to you. You are the one doing the work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Template:Known_bugs be refreshed to remove all the bugs that have been fixed/worked around?

1 Like

HulaHoop via Whonix Forum:

Should https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Template:Known_bugs be refreshed to remove all the bugs that have been fixed/worked around?

Sure.

Note: Whonix 14 only bugs can be marked as such (helpful for later
removal) but only removed once Whonix 14 is released for all platforms.

On that Testers ([[Test]]) page, the empty < pre> fields are annoying visually.

If the steps can’t be done with CLI, just better to bullet point those ones.

If there is any left that can be done with CLI, I’m sure you have the magic skills to do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: jitterentropy-rngd

A possible issue would be Onionizing Repositories since these instruction apply to Qubes (debian, whonix) and Non-Qubes (debian, whonix).

If each section was separated into Qubes templates and Non-Qubes templates, each would have a section with steps to add sources.list.d/debian.list to their Whonix and Debian templates.

The problem is this would likely confuse (many?) Qubes users.

• this repository is not included by default
  • updating templates produces this output in Qubes Debian Template (which is OK)

W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:5 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list:5
    W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:5 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list:5

A possible solution would be to create a separate “Advanced Qubes users” section with instructions to add the sources.d/debian.list lines to Debian and Whonix templates. This would have a more in depth information on the reasons for doing this. Of course this would be repeating content since Non-Qubes template instructions would also include this. But it would be much less confusing IMO. (no information overload) Does this make sense at all?

• Qubes Repos
    • Advanced Qubes
  • Non-Qubes

If this should be done a different way please let me know. I’m more than happy to do what ever needs to be done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. We’d have to use wiki templates to avoid duplication.

Hm, I don’t really understand this yet.

Which repository isn’t?

I see. Instructions for Qubes-Whonix template must use /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list but for Qubes Debian template must use /etc/apt/sources.list. Wiki templates support variables so this even just needs a single wiki template. Let me know if I should pick/create an example from the wiki.

Yes, repeating content. Therefore wiki templates.

Yes. thank you

The other part is many(?) Qubes users won’t understand why this is a more secure method for updates and software installation. Meaning why do this on top of onionizing qubes-r4.list. This needs to be explained in detail. We don’t want a large number of support requests about this.

If you recall, this output confused me a little bit. So its important users know this is not a problem.

https://forums.whonix.org/t/long-wiki-edits-thread/3477/1030

1 Like

We absolutely should avoid users seeing that warning. Really confusing indeed and for sure will be all over the forums. It only comes from /etc/apt/sources.list vs /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list and is avoidable.

Yes, please fix.

@Patrick

OK - 1st 8 sections are now ‘lightly’ edited (any complaints? :wink: ), except this one which is not yet approved:

http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/w/index.php?title=Qubes/DisposableVM&stable=0&redirect=no

The only section not updated in first 8 sections is release notes:

• Whonix 14 updates
  • Whonix 15

I think that is pretty critical now, as Whonix 15 doesn’t look far away for all platforms? (how long you think?)

Maybe someone can help out there i.e. we could do one each, since it is a monotonous task. If not, I’ll take one for the team…

1 Like

Obvious to us but many users have no idea what “CLI” means. I suggest to the change the titles to “CLI (Command Line Interface)” or in some places maybe even to “Command Line Interface - No GUI”. At the very least there should be brief explanation on Whonix for Windows, macOS, Linux inside VirtualBox re what is CLI, for example

Please choose Whonix with XFCE or Whonix with CLI (no GUI).

or

Please choose Whonix with XFCE (includes GUI) or Whonix with CLI (text terminal only).

1 Like

No idea how long it will take. Blocked by create Debian buster template · Issue #4970 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub. Could take 0-8 months, who knows.

Didn’t notice. Thanks for reminding me. Usually I notice what needs review by looking at Login required - Whonix. Once other wiki edits move it too far down (like the mass search and replace), I don’t notice it anymore. But I try looking at Pages with pending changes - Whonix more often. Will look into it.

Indeed.

Laymen doesn’t know what a GUI is either.

Perhaps

Please choose Whonix with XFCE (with a graphical interface) or Whonix with CLI (text terminal only).

or

Please choose Whonix with XFCE graphical desktop or Whonix with CLI (text terminal only).

1 Like

How do you like Template:VirtualBox Choose Stable - Whonix now?

Look much clearer!

1 Like

re fix plural which were wrecked by TM changes

Qubes/Disposables: Difference between revisions - Whonix

• Shouldn’t do manually. Too much work.
  • I’ve read in English, if it’s a TM ,the rule is: don’t use plural, correct?
  • I would like to keep templates for project name like {{workstation_product_name}} (this isn’t fully done):
    • this makes it easier for third parties to fork Whonix should they desire so (project name becomes an interchangeable variable).
    • also makes it easier (perhaps in future) to change the ™ to ® or whatever in future

Dev/Licensing - Kicksecure has a collection with all new wiki templates related to project name.

If you like to change == paragraph title names == (to remove TM), could you please use the wiki templates, and add an anchor with the TM including name? That way, most of the wiki internal links would continue to work.

For example, on Whonix ™ - Anonymous Operating System

= {{project name}} Version =

could be changed to

{{Anchor|{{project name}} Version}}
= {{project name short}} Version =

Whenever changing a paragraph title names it’s useful to leave the old version as an anchor if it’s like that this is a wiki internal link too. That way we don’t need to update any wiki internal links and it’s no problem if we forget any.

Sometimes

{{Anchor|{{project name}} Version}}

will not work.

Verbatim

{{Anchor|Whonix Version}}

might be needed. Not sure yet. May only not work inside wiki tables. On Whonix - Overview it is functional.

Created the Template:

https://whonix.org/wiki/Template:Onionize_Debian_Sources.list

With the exception of the variable(s) for the Template, I have everything ready to go for the onionizing repository page. This template witll be used for debian.list for the following Templates/VMs

• Qubes Debian
  • Qubes-Whonix
  • Non-Qubes Debian
  • Non-Qubes-Whonix
1 Like