Long Wiki Edits Thread

I’ll have this finished a little later on. Unless @torjunkie is planning on it

Yes, I discovered boxes! :laughing:

I’ll get the formatting correct eventually. Well, maybe.

Edit: Should a term other than “dummy template” be used when moving vms to the cloned template? It could get confused with an actual dummy template in Qubes Unintall. i.e. dummy templates do not have a file system

2 Likes

Yes, wrong term I used there. Please change to something appropriate. PS there is no “correct” with editing, just differences in opinion One person’s box is another one’s bane. :wink:

Please, go ahead. I’m a little spent at the minute, so might take a breather for a bit anyhow.

Personally, I think the wiki is 50% improved since the website changes, improved stability and everyone’s efforts. I think Whonix forum traffic for simple shit also dropped by 50%, except for the usual offenders e.g. VPNs, install/re-install, Tor won’t bootstrap Qs, and clock fixes/time sync.

Take those out of the equation, and it is very quiet. Just like it should be when the software is blessedly stable and the important parts of the documentation actually work (mostly). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes what I wrote was true at the time but may very well have changed. I don’t think we should endorse retroshare anymore because of the serious security bugs/RCEs uncovered all over in an audit. While the concept is awesome, the implementation is lacking and it would be irresponsible to endorse it for a user base that may have serious sec requirements.

I think we should deprecate install instructions and leave the info about the state of its codebase as a warning to those who might consider it.

2 Likes

Draft for Patricks review. This is not an actual call for testers!

Whonix VirtualBox/KVM Live-mode Testers Wanted!

Whonix now has the option of booting into a live system . When live-mode is chosen, all write operations will go to RAM instead of the hard disk. The primary objective of live-mode is to prevent malware from gaining a persistent foothold and to return the system to its state prior to booting.

System with low resources:

If Whonix is running on a system will low RAM it is recommended that all non-essential processes are shutdown on the host. This will free up memory to allocate the virtual machines if needed.

Configuration instructions for live-mode:

https://whonix.org/wiki/Whonix_Live#Live-mode_Configuration

Note: Live-mode is currently unsupported with Qubes-Whonix

Follow Whonix live-mode Development:

Thanks to @Algernon and everyone else who made live-mode possible.

3 Likes

0brand:

Reinstalling Qubes-Whonix TemplateVMs page created and finished. Mistakenly added all content using admin privileges so I deleted page and started over. Also I’m not sure about the page title. Know it needs to be a redirect from Qubes/ ?

https://whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Reinstall_Qubes-Whonix_TemplateVMs&oldid=39242&diff=cur

Excellent! I moved to:

This is because other Qubes docs are also in Qubes/ hierarchy. (Could
be reconsidered but I guess it is good like that (SEO).)

Added some TODOs to Reinstall Qubes-Whonix Templates.

Any other advantage of Manual Reinstallation method other than The advantage of this method is, that it also works with non-Fedora based Qubes dom0 UpdateVMs, i.e. also with Debian based Qubes dom0 UpdateVMs.
(just now added by me).?

Thanks HulaHoop. To deprecated it shall go.

2 Likes

Grammar nit (won’t let me edit it for some reason):

This will free up memory to allocate to virtual machines if needed.

(Or reword: This will free up memory for virtual machine allocation, if needed.)

Note : Live-mode is currently unsupported in Qubes-Whonix

1 Like

Automated Reinstall

TODO: --action=reinstall requires a Fedora based Qubes dom0 UpdateVM.

I conducted testing using sys-whonix as UpdateVM. It went smoothly AFAICT. I’ll have to test again

Manual Reinstallation

Unfinished! See TODOs

It didn’t occur to me to put those in. Much easier to use salt since it does all of the work. no mistakes

I’ll get those done :wink:

1 Like

Draft:

this is from when i was creating a chapter for it in the guide i work on a couple months ago. i don’t know if it’s with the latest version. additionally, another bug i forgot to mention was that the ability to even select omemo encryption in a chat window would sometimes be haphazard. the omemo icon simply wouldn’t display.

i have not reported these as bugs to the devs since i am not sure if it had something to do with the virtualbox environment i was experimenting with yet. as you may recall, i had a weird error where coyim and torbrowser appeared to be fighting with each other, and that was fixed by increasing the ram available to the workstation. if there is a strong desire to move to gajim, i can give it another round of experiments.

2 Likes
[user@dom0 Desktop]$ qubes-prefs updatevm
sys-whonix

user@dom0 Desktop]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community --action=reinstall qubes-template-whonix-ws-14

Qubes OS Repository for Dom0                     25 MB/s |  26 kB     00:00    
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================
 Package                     Arch   Version             Repository         Size
================================================================================
Reinstalling:
 qubes-template-whonix-ws-14 noarch 4.0.1-201807171801  qubes-dom0-cached 672 M

Transaction Summary

Total size: 672 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Reinstalling: qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       1/2 
whonix-ws-14: Importing data
  Erasing     : qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       2/2 
  Verifying   : qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       1/2 
  Verifying   : qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       2/2 

Reinstalled:
  qubes-template-whonix-ws-14.noarch 4.0.1-201807171801                         

Complete!
[user@dom0 Desktop]$ 

It took multiple tries running the command due to connection failure (Tor congestion). So maybe a comment should be made that re-running command might be necessary.

Using a non-torrified UpdateVM might also be needed if whonix-gw is the (broken, misconfigured…) template that is reinstalled. Instructions for both torified and non-torified are needed. Or maybe combined into a general - How to set UpdateVM?

1 Like

Yes.

Sounds good.

Also sounds good. UpdateVM, UpdatesProxy and perhaps torification or any VM (the latter just missing links?).

Other reasons for re-install of TemplateVM:

• upgrade to next stable version of Whonix
  • upgrade to testers-only version of Whonix
  • help testing testers-only version of Whonix (have clone of stable template)
1 Like

https://whonix.org/wiki/About#

{{DISPLAYTITLE:Design and Goals}}
{{#seo:
|description=Whoniy Summary, what who is, Anonymity online through Tor, Security by Isolation, Based on Debian
|image=https://www.whonix.org/w/images/7/70/Information-275708-640.png
}}

Should this be?:

Whonix Summary: Whonix is; Anonymity online through Tor, Security by Isolation, Based on Debian

Correct punctuation? @torjunkie

1 Like

@nurmagoz

Added this to Whonix Team page since you devote considerable time toward Whonix testing :+1:

OK with you?

https://whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Team&oldid=39153&diff=cur

2 Likes

Hi Patrick,

I didn’t want to make a new thread but could you please create the Whonix ™ for macOS: Download and Installation page? I am happy to assist macOS users to the best of my ability and will start updating the macOS wiki as issues arise.

Thanks,

ryjorny

3 Likes