kernel recompilation for better hardening

1 Like

linux-hardened’s FORTIFY_SOURCE_STRICT_STRING has been implemented upstream.

2 Likes

CONFIG_KFENCE is a Low-Overhead Memory Safety Feature introduced in Linux 5.12 that is more competent than the KASAN. Used for uncovering similar out-of-bounds / use-after-free / invalid-free errors but with no overhead.

2 Likes
1 Like

hi a different function and greater security
some guys shared a topic : firejail / seccomp / More Options for Program Containment
there is a security patch Landlock : Landlock: unprivileged access control

CONFIG_SECURITY_LANDLOCK=y

tried a sandbox inside another sandbox ./landlock1 /bin/sh firejail *application

With the exploits and bypasses that there are lately,
I believe that greater security is necessary

Theory : Apparmor > Landlock > Firejail > Tor browser

Kernel Patch Hardening : https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/kernel-hardening/list/

1 Like

Landlock currently isn’t in mainline; it’s only in linux-next: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/tree/Documentation/userspace-api/landlock.rst?h=next-20210319&id=f00397ee41c79b6155b9b44abd0055b2c0621349

When it does land in mainline, it will be a very long time before it reaches LTS and besides, I don’t see a significant advantage of this over AppArmor + bubblewrap. Landlock is intended for use cases in which the user does not have the adminstrator privileges necessary to configure traditional security policies like AppArmor which does not apply to us.

Combining a whole bunch of different access control mechanisms would be redundant — it’s the same kernel enforcing all of these policies and a single kernel exploit can bypass all of them. Unless Landlock exposes the ability to restrict something that isn’t already covered by our current approach, I don’t see an advantage.

1 Like
1 Like

New CONFIG options in 5.9 we can enable:
https://outflux.net/blog/archives/2021/04/05/security-things-in-linux-v5-9/

Guide on configuring Yama’s ptrace restriction levels:

1 Like

The Landlock LSM is now mainlined in 5.13. I wonder if it can be stacked wit the app sandbox we are working on since it too can restrict unprivileged apps.

1 Like

Ryzen 3 has a PSF feature that causes spectre vulns. Trning it off is supported in 5.13, though it’s optional and won’t be a default.

1 Like

See:

2 Likes

As per Consider Pulling in LKRG · Issue #408 · GrapheneOS/os-issue-tracker · GitHub, I believe we should get rid of the --lkrg option and enable CONFIG_KPROBES by default, while also disabling the config options mentioned in the issue to get rid of the attack surface exposed to user space.

Tirdad also requires kprobes:

1 Like

Will also update documentation to reflect this.

1 Like

Could you review Hardened-kernel: Difference between revisions - Whonix please?

1 Like

That change just adds a thumbnail. It overlaps with the boxes though.

1 Like

Hi,

Installed the Whonix hardened kernel on another distro and now some systemd services will not start. Don’t seem to be able to restart these services and when sudo systemctl start [service] is run, there is an error message which is described as exit-code. Also commands to the dbus seem to fail as well, returning
Failed to connect to bus: Connection Refused

Bunch of upcoming changes to spectre protection defaults and build time compiler options added to newer releases of LLVM and GCC. Sending pulls to other Linux projects may be helpful:

Difficult to understand what these changes do. A comment from the discussion thread frames it this way:

The question is, which programs in the past have opted in with PRCTL? Which in the future will be SECCOMP threads which will have it applied?

1 Like

An AMD feature available in KVM for enhanced protection in Zen3 CPUs:

1 Like

ClipOS is deprecated unfortunately;

"The paper points to AMD CPUs suffering from a side-channel leakage vulnerability through timing and power variations of the PREFETCH instruction. The paper argues that AMD CPUs should activate stronger page table isolation by default. "

“With the Linux kernel already supporting Kernel Page Table Isolation albeit not enabled by default on AMD CPUs, it’s easy to test the behavior otherwise. KPTI can already be forced on for AMD CPUs under Linux if booting with the “pti=on” kernel option (not to be confused with the “kpti=1” option that is for controlling page table isolation for AArch64 systems, unfortunately through a different knob).”

" For instance with GCC 11 is the zero-call-used-regs compiler feature and now with Linux 5.15 that feature can be optionally used to enhance the kernel security.

Slipping under our radar earlier this month was that GCC 12 has landed stack variable auto-initialization. This new GCC 12 security feature can be turned on with the “-ftrivial-auto-var-init=zero” compiler switch. LLVM/Clang saw this security option posted back in 2018."

I don;t know why they thought it was a good idea to include an in-kernel SMB3 file server that turned up vulnerabilities, but I’m sure we are all better off without it. This is a Linux 5.15 “feature” that we can turn off.

1 Like