Issue Tracker Discussion

Hm. Damn it. Works still for my non-admin account.

Can you send me your password by e-mail please? Feel free to change it beforehand / afterwards.

Would make it easier for me to test it’s really working.

I don’t know yet if I as admin can forcibly change your password.

Relaxed policy some more. Please send me your password if it still doesn’t work.

It is working for me now…

https://phabricator.whonix.org/T37

I though admins get e-mail notifications for all tickets they create anyhow, but this is not the case. However, one can easily add a “Herald rule” for this.

If someone wants this… Documented here:

[hr]

Made WhonixQubes admin.

[hr]

No worries about other admin rights. View this thread as a “pre trial”. An announcement in the blog about the new bug tracker, and a general transition to the new bug tracker has still to be made. We can sort out the other admin rights for Whonix team by then.

[quote=“Patrick, post:24, topic:769”]I though admins get e-mail notifications for all tickets they create anyhow, but this is not the case. However, one can easily add a “Herald rule” for this.

If someone wants this… Documented here:

[hr]

Made WhonixQubes admin.

[hr]

No worries about other admin rights. View this thread as a “pre trial”. An announcement in the blog about the new bug tracker, and a general transition to the new bug tracker has still to be made. We can sort out the other admin rights for Whonix team by then.[/quote]

Sounds good. :smiley:

When you cross post issues in the forums, please consider editing the phabricator ticket or adding a comment to add the link to the forums.

Yes. Good idea. Implemented.

I likely won’t cross-post all tickets tagged with Qubes.

But, yes, when I do, I will edit the ticket to add a forum link at the bottom of it.

Yes. That would be tedious. And would make the tracker kinda useless?

The web is disconnected. There are great webapps here and there. But they’re mostly incompatible. Not even shared login. My thoughts on that a while ago:

In future something like ifttt (https://ifttt.com) or huginn (Huginn - An Information Collection Agent) could do the trick to provide a unified experience. Ideally, phabricator bug tickets would share the very same discussion as a forum post.

[quote=“Patrick, post:28, topic:769”][quote author=WhonixQubes link=topic=847.msg6477#msg6477 date=1421018377]
I likely won’t cross-post all tickets tagged with Qubes.
[/quote]
Yes. That would be tedious. And would make the tracker kinda useless?[/quote]

I think there is probably some value in using the Forum in tandem with the Tracker.

1. Tracker Intimidation:

I think formal tracker systems, especially one as complex as Phabricator, can be intimidating or overbearing for some people to want to dive in and engage. Separate account required as well. Using the forums in tandem and linking to the tracker could help to get people more comfortable over time and help transition them over.

1. Exposure to Where People Are:

Even if a tracker system is a better technical way to manage issues, if people aren’t going to it and using it as much, then it could mean a loss in opportunities for exposure, engagement, awareness, information exchanged, etc. So I think this dynamic may exist, where the forums are an additional outlet of audience opportunity for furthering issues.

1. Loose vs. Tight Discussion:

Trackers seem to encourage more strictly categorized, higher value discussion, specific to established issues. Forums seem to support more loose and exploratory discussion which can help people orient themselves, feel comfortable, express themselves, etc. And so using forums in tandem potentially can socially facilitate more overall discovery and progress this way.

[hr]

[quote=“Patrick, post:28, topic:769”]The web is disconnected. There are great webapps here and there. But they’re mostly incompatible. Not even shared login. My thoughts on that a while ago:

In future something like ifttt (https://ifttt.com) or huginn (Huginn - An Information Collection Agent) could do the trick to provide a unified experience. Ideally, phabricator bug tickets would share the very same discussion as a forum post.[/quote]

Yes. Integrated web apps is a generally good idea.

I could envision a system that unifies every post/discussion/issue under a per instance item, and then those could be categorized, filtered, and displayed throughout the site depending upon the context of specific usage.

However, again, as described above, the specific technically better implementations may cause harm to the overall social usefulness and engagement of a website.

Tough balance.

Agreed.

Follow-on question for the issue tracker…

How do I create links to the issue tracker that filter issues by multiple tags?

Example:

I’d like to create links that show the following tag combinations…

Qubes + Bug
Qubes + Research
Qubes + Security
etc

I currently use this link to filter out the Qubes tagged issues…

https://phabricator.whonix.org/tag/qubes

Is there a link format that filters issues based on at least 2 tags?

I did a brief search and tried some URL formats without success.

Good question. I needed to ask on irc irc.freenode.net #phabricator because it was non-obvious to me as well. It’s possible.

Maniphest advanced search, “in all projects”, enter multiple.

Example:
https://phabricator.whonix.org/maniphest/query/ag5qhqI9seJr/#R