Issue T134: No Audio in New Whonix Qubes?

[b]Issue T134: Audio Sometimes Not Working in Qubes

Posted by @WhonixQubes

February 5, 2015

https://phabricator.whonix.org/T134[/b]

Audio output is sometimes not working in Qubes.

Experienced in both Whonix-Workstation and Whonix-Gateway.

When audio is working, the “Attach/Detach audio-input to the VM” option is enabled for the VM in the Qubes Manager.

[hr]

I just tried playing a video in Whonix on a Qubes R2 system that I know has good audio coming out of it.

Unsuccessful. No audio came out of the Whonix Workstation VM for me. Unmodified original VM.

Tested using ITL compiled Whonix-Workstation 2.1.7-201412012203.

Has it been confirmed by anyone that audio output works in the new Whonix Qubes?

FYI: No audio was also an unresolved issue in the old Whonix HVM port…

It was reported with the old system that audio worked in Debian Wheezy HVMs but not Whonix HVMs.

I can confirm that I can get audio in the WhonixVM based on nrgaways template, but it is random. Most of them time audio won’t work, and other times it will.

You can tell if audio is working if the “Attach/Detach audio-input to the VM” is able to be toggled.

[quote=“Qubonix, post:2, topic:825”]I can confirm that I can get audio in the WhonixVM based on nrgaways template, but it is random. Most of them time audio won’t work, and other times it will.

You can tell if audio is working if the “Attach/Detach audio-input to the VM” is able to be toggled.[/quote]

Interesting problem. Thanks for your report, Qubonix.

A potential bug indeed. I wonder if it is machine specific or pervasive for all Whonix Qubes templates.

I also wonder if audio is consistently working on @nrgaway’s generic Debian 7 template.

As mentioned, in the old HVM setup, audio was working in Debian HVMs but not Whonix HVMs.

So maybe an audio conflict between Whonix packages and Qubes.

We will have to get to the bottom of this.

[quote=“WhonixQubes, post:3, topic:825”][quote author=Qubonix link=topic=908.msg6752#msg6752 date=1422506444]
I can confirm that I can get audio in the WhonixVM based on nrgaways template, but it is random. Most of them time audio won’t work, and other times it will.

You can tell if audio is working if the “Attach/Detach audio-input to the VM” is able to be toggled.
[/quote]

Interesting problem. Thanks for your report, Qubonix.

A potential bug indeed. I wonder if it is machine specific or pervasive for all Whonix Qubes templates.

I also wonder if audio is consistently working on @nrgaway’s generic Debian 7 template.

As mentioned, in the old HVM setup, audio was working in Debian HVMs but not Whonix HVMs.

So maybe an audio conflict between Whonix packages and Qubes.

We will have to get to the bottom of this.[/quote]

I have it on my list of things to look in to. Audio does work for the regular Debian templates which I use daily.

Does audio not work for you in both the Gateway and Workstation or just Workstation?

[quote=“nrgaway, post:4, topic:825”]I have it on my list of things to look in to. Audio does work for the regular Debian templates which I use daily.

Does audio not work for you in both the Gateway and Workstation or just Workstation?[/quote]

Thanks for working on this!

Interesting to know about audio working on your Debian templates. This seems to be mirroring the same issue with audio working on Debian HVMs but not on Whonix HVMs.

Good question about Workstation vs Gateway… My test was just on the Workstation. I will have to get back to you on the Gateway. As my primary machine does not have audio hardware and I will have to check this on a test machine.

[quote=“WhonixQubes, post:5, topic:825”][quote author=nrgaway link=topic=908.msg6792#msg6792 date=1422832539]
I have it on my list of things to look in to. Audio does work for the regular Debian templates which I use daily.

Does audio not work for you in both the Gateway and Workstation or just Workstation?
[/quote]

Thanks for working on this!

Interesting to know about audio working on your Debian templates. This seems to be mirroring the same issue with audio working on Debian HVMs but not on Whonix HVMs.

Good question about Workstation vs Gateway… My test was just on the Workstation. I will have to get back to you on the Gateway. As my primary machine does not have audio hardware and I will have to check this on a test machine.[/quote]

I found some issues with the wheezy template as well. I am using the jessie one. I think I fixed it for 9.6 release.

Test results…

I can confirm @Qubonix’s experience of having audio output work randomly.

When audio is working, the “Attach/Detach audio-input to the VM” option is enabled for the VM in the Qubes Manager.

This occurs the same way for both Whonix-Workstation and Whonix-Gateway.

I have not seen audio output go from on to off, or vice versa, while a live VM is running. So it may be with some kind of VM startup issue. But I haven’t spent a lot of time confirming this behavior.

Tested using ITL compiled VMs.

[quote=“WhonixQubes, post:7, topic:825”]Test results…

I can confirm @Qubonix’s experience of having audio output work randomly.

This occurs the same way for both Whonix-Workstation and Whonix-Gateway.

I have not seen audio output go from on to off, or vice versa, while a live VM is running. So it may be with some kind of VM startup issue. But I haven’t spent a lot of time confirming this behavior.

Tested using ITL compiled VMs.[/quote]

If you still have your qubes-builder development environment around you can build a new version or just wait until its released. I believe I fixed the issue in the new version which is also using 9.6 and the new qubes-whonix package (which includes your nautilus addition) and new whonix-setup-wizard.

If you want to attempt building again let me know and I will update my branch with a configuration file to make it easy to configure (I created a ‘GUI’ setup program to assist in creating templates).

[quote=“nrgaway, post:8, topic:825”]If you still have your qubes-builder development environment around you can build a new version or just wait until its released. I believe I fixed the issue in the new version which is also using 9.6 and the new qubes-whonix package (which includes your nautilus addition) and new whonix-setup-wizard.

If you want to attempt building again let me know and I will update my branch with a configuration file to make it easy to configure (I created a ‘GUI’ setup program to assist in creating templates).[/quote]

Awesome that you got this bug. And really cool about the configuration setup GUI. :smiley:

It’s not a major personal priority for me right now, so no need to trouble yourself, since I’ve got a more important backlog to take care of first on completing the leak testing, documentation, and announcement of our new platform.

Could you write up here what the exact technical problem was and what the fix was. And I will close the issue ticket with that information.

Thanks!