Is any special action required when updating to qubes-core-agent-networking (4.0.47-1+deb10u1) in Whonix templates?

When recently updating to qubes-core-agent-networking (4.0.47-1+deb10u1) in whonix-gw-15 and whonix-ws-15, I noticed the following output, which I don’t recall ever seeing before:

Setting up qubes-core-agent-networking (4.0.47-1+deb10u1) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-qubes-network.rules ...
[qubes-core-agent-linux.conf:1] Line references path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/tinyproxy-updates → /run/tinyproxy-updates; please update the tmpfiles.d/ drop-in file accordingly.
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of qubes-network.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.

I’m being instructed to do two things:

(1) “update the tmpfiles.d/ drop-in file accordingly”
(2) “Run ‘systemctl daemon-reload’ to reload units”

I had no idea what (1) meant, so I searched online and found that it appears to be an upstream issue. [1][2] However, I still don’t know whether I, as a Qubes-Whonix user, should take any action here. What, if anything, should I do?

I also wasn’t sure about (2). I knew I could simply execute that command as instructed, but I’m not sure if I should. After searching online, (2) appears to be a pretty general mechanism that also isn’t specific to Qubes-Whonix. [3] In this case, I’m wondering whether simply restarting the TemplateVM once is enough, or whether any further action is required (or recommended) on my part here. Any thoughts?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=902413
[2] 1658487 – systemd complains about legacy of /var/run
[3] centos - What does "systemctl daemon-reload" do? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

1 Like

Qubes is responsible for that package.

Change qubes-core-agent-linux/vm-systemd/qubes-core-agent-linux.tmpfiles at master · QubesOS/qubes-core-agent-linux · GitHub from

d /var/run/tinyproxy-updates 0755 tinyproxy tinyproxy

to

d /run/tinyproxy-updates 0755 tinyproxy tinyproxy

The same should be do anywhere in Qubes source code where it references /var/run/. Replace with /run/.

Yes.
Even just shutdown is sufficient.

I understand the mess and user confusion, but I can’t fix it all. Linux desktop distributions are very unorganized…

Bug Reports, Software Development and Feature Requests

1 Like

Agreed! :slight_smile:

Excellent. Thank you.

Completely understandable! I certainly didn’t mean to suggest that it’s on you to fix it all. :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, I’ve experienced so many weird bugs in commercial OSes that should have never passed testing that I consider this gap to be fairly small now.

2 Likes