Icedove with TorBirdy - user -> Tor -> VPN -> mail proivder

ah ok, thanks :slight_smile:

i connect to a vpn server on my whonix workstation, because i want to establish the following: [my PC] <> [Tor] <> [VPN Server] <> [Internet]

This way i can use many tor non-friendly services (such as most email providers).

If i use Icedove, with TorBirdy enabled, can i still be shure, my email provider only see’s the vpn’s ip?

And just to be sure a 2nd question (because i lack of the deep understaning whats going on:)) Can i be shure that every traffic outgoing from my whonix workstation (ssh, ftp, etc.) is routed through the tor network? So there no caveats?

Many thanks again!

Generally all non tor traffic is blocked by whonix gateway .
It’s impossible or very hard to circunvent this, unless you heavily modify the gateway .

typo: shure → sure

You would need to set TorBirdy to transparent torification (using system default networking). Because it’s preconfigured to use network settings “Whonix”, which means, that it’s preconfigured to use a SocksPort for stream isolation (Stream Isolation). Using SocksPorts directly circumvents the VPN. For better certainty, during the initial setup, I recommend to disable that SocksPort on the gateway.

Highly recommend to read the VPN documentation:

I have the VPN on the host and now i’m using your vpn-firewall .
I hope i understood wrong, if i use the socks port for emails ( example ) the traffic can travel out the vpn ?

[quote=“Hiberts, post:4, topic:1248”]I have the VPN on the host and now i’m using your vpn-firewall .
I hope i understood wrong, if i use the socks port for emails ( example ) the traffic can travel out the vpn ?[/quote]
Understood wrong. Host VPN does not interfere with Whonix-Workstation traffic directly.

Oh …
I understood, it’s a VPN over TOR problem :slight_smile: .

The terminology is ambiguous. Please use the
user -> …
notation from the wiki.

Escuse me :), user --> VPN --> TOR --> VPN ( here your problem ) --> internet .
However, is that the problem I mean ?

No.

Installing the VPN inside Whonix-Workstation (user -> Tor -> VPN -> destination) requires understanding stream isolation and perhaps how to disable it.

Yes, I think I know it :slight_smile: .
whonixer should understand, i wanted to say that its problem is there .
However, whonixer you should use browser first, then learn how to configure socks and transport port for email client for example, on the Whonix website there’s all .
With browser i think you won’t have problems .