I see some suspicious numbers (shadowing?)

So hi all. I have some strange things.

If i run command @lshw@ on whonix i see next thing:

description: CPU
product: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.5.2
serial: 0002-0652-0000-0000-0000-0000 (WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!)
slot: LGA1156
size: 3066MHz
capacity: 3800MHz
width: 64 bits
clock: 133MHz

And when i run @LSHW@ on hosh (debian) i dont see this nubmers. And i ask on INTEL support they tell me that this nubmers dont really serial of my corei3. So what is this? Can anyone help me?

Good day,

Please google before asking. The way the serial number is shown is a standard output for when your OEM hasn’t implemented the serial enquiry properly. In a VM a number with lots of zero’s is shown to simulate this. That’s why your host OS probably says “To Be Filled By O.E.M.”.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

tnx Ego! I google! And i google many times. But hard to understand cuz im from russia (bad eng).

do you mean that it is an imitation of the serial number in virtualbox? many words I did not understand from you .

EGo!

Good day,

Yes, if your OEM didn’t provide a proper serial number on the host.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Ego hi again! I use on tha host this command @sudo dmidecode | grep Serial@ (its like cpuid)
and i see some serial number like this:

Serial number: 82758275-8009872
Serial number: S109WN2X
Serial number: N\A

and when i use this command on whonix i dont see this numbers.

Serial number: 0
Serial number: 0

Is this my REAL CPU serial numbers? (intel corei3)

Ego tnx.

Good day,

This are the serials of your PC, not your CPU. That’s why the virtual machine doesn’t show anything at all.

Have a nice day,

Ego

so all computers have the PC serial? or only some? I thought there is no such numbers like that

Good day,

Yes, every PC has such a unique identifier written in its BIOS.

Have a nice day,

Ego

but this number with zeros , is it can see in the HOST too? just a little do not understand , this numberis issued on
only virtual machines ? I just have one friend, he use qubes,and he have the same numbers too(0002-0652-0000-0000-0000-0000)

Good day,

Like I’ve said before, on host it only shows “To be filled by O.E.M”.

Have a nice day,

Ego

so much tnx for answers! But now i see UUID on whonix like OO0A827Z-72S2 … and other numbers. what is this? is it unique number ? nobody have that in google

each new virtual machine created new UUID number ?

Good day,

Yes. Every Linux based system uses a UUID to be uniquely identifiable. So every new installation of Whonix has its own UUID.

Have a nice day,

Ego