[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [DONATE]

I can not install Electrum - Bitcoin Crypto Currency Wallet

Command substitution allows the output of a command to replace the command itself. Command substitution occurs when a command is enclosed like this:

What $(whoami) is doing is running whoami. You could run that command yourself in a terminal.

Instructions for verification of electrum appimage are already included here:

@userapp3

How are you making out with updating electrum for Whonix 15? If you would like help with anything please let me know.

0brand,

Electrum wiki maintainer.

1 Like

@userapp3 thanks for the reply bro! so I was able to get it installed and working, but I am curious why I had to do the steps I outlined above. Do you think that poses any type of security risk to install those packages? As far as I am aware, appimages are self contained and dont need any dependencies, so I am hesitant to use it because of the fact that I had to install dependencies.

I don’t have enough knowledge to help contribute, but I am working on increasing my skill set so I can contribute to this amazing project

Hi userapp3

Sorry for the late reply. For the appimage to function, package fuse https://packages.debian.org/buster/fuse must be installed on the system. If you run the following command in Whonix-Workstation 14 you will see that fuse is installed.

sudo apt --list installed | grep fuse

So fuse is ok to install in Whonix 15 as long as you use apt to install the package.

If fuse is not installed by default in Whonix 15 instructions to do so will be needed in the Whonix Electrum wiki. :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Merged most existing threads of electrum into this thread to cleanup the forum and to notify everyone interested in electrum.

Instructions on how to install electrum in Whonix were recently heavily simplified and can be found here:

In near future, electrum will be installed by default in Whonix. (Already done in testers repository.)

I love Electrum but I think the Console feature, (easily accessible from the View -> Console menu) poses an unnecessary security risk.

It allows running any arbitrary python code that can affect not only the wallet but the whole system. A one liner can easily download and execute malicious scripts. I tested a simple PoC of it.

Electrum treated this concern by adding a warning displayed at the first launch of the Console.

Can we do anything else about it, perhaps using Apparmor?

I think it goes without saying if any user runs malicious code on there system (in Whonix konsole… or any application) they run the risk of system compromise and / or de-anonymization (if run from whonix-gateway). I’m willing to make a bet Whonix devs could come up with a few one liners that would be a disaster if run from whonix-gateway (for de-anonymizaion) or whonix-workstation (for system compromise). We can’t prevent stupid.

The Terminal / Whonix Konsole and specifically root on Terminal granting absolute power over the system is I think a very well understood and accepted concept even for the average user.

I can come up with such one liners as you mentioned. No need to post them here, someone might actually run those by mistake.

But a bitcoin wallet easily allowing the user to run any script that affects the whole system isn’t a naturally accepted behaviour. A bitcoin wallet should have absolute power over the content of the wallet, not over the rest of the system. That should belong in some kind of developers addition perhaps, not on the mainstream software.

Isn’t that the whole point of Apparmor and similar restrictive methods?

I am not aware of any other GUI application that (will now be) installed by default in Whonix that has the same power with the same ease (where no software download is expressly done by user, no obvious installations etc).

Can anyone figure out how to use either,

• a newly created, OR
  • the existing firejail profile /etc/firejail/electrum.profile

in combination with electrum AppImage?

Related, previous work with upstream firejail: https://github.com/netblue30/firejail

I see “average” users run any code snippets they find on various forums to fix application x. They’ll do just about anything they are told that will “fix” their problem

I’ not sure how someone could mistakenly copy/paste + enter? The problem is users (average or otherwise) don’t follow best practices i.e. If you don’t know what you are doing, don’t do it.

Locking down any application is a good idea. Locking down an app just because a user might shoot themselves in the foot not so much. Whonix can’t protect users from mistakes such as this (shooting in the foot).

Locking down electrum would be great because its popular app. The point i’m trying to make is:

• foolish user behavior, by itself, is not good reason to divert dev resources.
  • Sandboxing app that is easilty compromised by malware, yes good idea.
  • Sandbox from phishing attacks, no. This falls under follow best practices or you’ll learn a hard lesson.
2 Likes

Took a quick look and didn’t findd any electum Applmage profile. Found AppImage specific command.

https://community.parrot.sh/t/using-firejail/1560

firejail --appimage app_name.appimage

Season of Docs doc writing phase starts on September 2, 2019
I can either

• Finish up tunnels documentation
  • Work on electrum appimage profile.

Either is fun for me . Your pick.

Edit: there is an electum profile in Debian firejail package but not for appimage.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/all/firejail-profiles/filelist

2 Likes

That would be great!

Once that is figured out, I can add support for it to the startup wrapper
https://github.com/adrelanos/binaries-freedom/blob/master/usr/bin/electrum-appimage

That would also help when we add other AppImages.

1 Like

I think we are in agreement, don’t see the need for arguing. Happy to concede I am wrong about anything and everything as long as the path forward is a positive one.

Hi there. I don’t want to create a separate thread for this issue so I decided to post here.
I just finished following the new guide on how to use Electrum wallet.
Electrum was installed succesfully, however after clicking on its icon in the menu or typing electrum-appimage into the console, nothing happens for me. Of course I’m using the latest Whonix, never experienced any problems with it until now.
Is the issue on my part? How do I troubleshoot?

Run.

bash -x /usr/bin/electrum-appimage

ls -la /usr/share/binaries-freedom/electrum-appimage/

dpkg -l | grep binaries-freedom

And post output here.

Edit: Had a typo when running electrum-appimage in my original post

user@host:~$ bash -x /usr/bin/electrum-appimage
+ set -e
+ '[' -f /usr/lib/helper-scripts/pre.bsh ']'
+ source /usr/lib/helper-scripts/pre.bsh
++ '[' -o xtrace ']'
++ XTRACE=0
++ set -o errtrace
+++ mktemp
++ TEMP_FILE_PRE_BSH=/tmp/tmp.w2bzg7T8Rn
++ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
++ true 'INFO: Setting DEBDEBUG to 1, because xtrace (-x) is set.'
++ DEBDEBUG=1
++ '[' 1 = 1 ']'
++ set -x
++ colors
++ '[' xterm-256color = '' ']'
++ [[ -t 2 ]]
+++ type -t errorhandlergeneral
++ '[' '' = function ']'
++ trap error_handler_pre ERR
++ bash -n /usr/lib/helper-scripts/pre.bsh
++ bash -n /usr/bin/electrum-appimage
++ own_filename=electrum-appimage
++ source_config_folder
++ pre_bsh_settings_folder=_maint.d
++ shopt -s nullglob
++ local i
++ shopt -u nullglob
++ unset skip_script
++ '[' electrum-appimage = '' ']'
+ shopt -s nullglob
+ for file_name in /usr/share/binaries-freedom/electrum-appimage/*
+ test -x /usr/share/binaries-freedom/electrum-appimage/electrum-3.3.8-x86_64.AppImage
+ /usr/share/binaries-freedom/electrum-appimage/electrum-3.3.8-x86_64.AppImage

Thanks for pointing that out @unprivileged :wink:

1 Like

don’t prepend electrum-appimage. see original post.

bash -x … only

2 Likes

Here’s output from the first command.

user@host:~$ bash -x /usr/bin/electrum-appimage
+ set -e
+ '[' -f /usr/lib/helper-scripts/pre.bsh ']'
+ source /usr/lib/helper-scripts/pre.bsh
++ '[' -o xtrace ']'
++ XTRACE=0
++ set -o errtrace
+++ mktemp
++ TEMP_FILE_PRE_BSH=/tmp/tmp.zjkQmrVRTs
++ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
++ true 'INFO: Setting DEBDEBUG to 1, because xtrace (-x) is set.'
++ DEBDEBUG=1
++ '[' 1 = 1 ']'
++ set -x
++ colors
++ '[' xterm-256color = '' ']'
++ [[ -t 2 ]]
+++ type -t errorhandlergeneral
++ '[' '' = function ']'
++ trap error_handler_pre ERR
++ bash -n /usr/lib/helper-scripts/pre.bsh
++ bash -n /usr/bin/electrum-appimage
++ own_filename=electrum-appimage
++ source_config_folder
++ pre_bsh_settings_folder=_maint.d
++ shopt -s nullglob
++ local i
++ shopt -u nullglob
++ unset skip_script
++ '[' electrum-appimage = '' ']'
+ shopt -s nullglob
+ for file_name in /usr/share/binaries-freedom/electrum-appimage/*
+ test -x /usr/share/binaries-freedom/electrum-appimage/electrum-3.3.8-x86_64.AppImage
+ /usr/share/binaries-freedom/electrum-appimage/electrum-3.3.8-x86_64.AppImage

(python3.6:2490): dbind-WARNING **: 12:34:31.804: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
+ exit 0

Electrum launched succesfully issuing this command. Clicking on the icon in the menu or typing bare electrum-appimage into the terminal still don’t work.
And for the following commands.

user@host:~$ ls -la /usr/share/binaries-freedom/electrum-appimage/
total 48212
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     4096 Aug 21 00:15 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root     4096 Aug 21 00:15 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49356776 Aug  9 10:15 electrum-3.3.8-x86_64.AppImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      833 Aug  9 10:15 electrum-3.3.8-x86_64.AppImage.asc
user@host:~$ dpkg -l | grep binaries-freedom
ii  binaries-freedom                             0.6-1                        all          Freedom Software Binaries
1 Like

Therefore the desktop file is broken somehow.

Strange since that works for me.

As solution try this…

Open /usr/share/applications/electrum-appimage.desktop with root rights.

lxsudo mousepad /usr/share/applications/electrum-appimage.desktop

That line

Exec=sh -c "PATH=\"\\$HOME/.local/bin:\\$PATH\" electrum-appimage %u"

is taken from Debian electrum package and just modified to append -appimage. I did that to keep the diff to “upstream” implementation close. But it’s not very important. That feature only allow putting a custom electrum-appimage script into ~/.local/bin folder, which probably few are doing. ~/bin should be usable anyhow, but untested.

Try changing that line to:

electrum-appimage

I wasn’t sure whether you meant to change the entire line into

electrum-appimage

or into

Exec=electrum-appimage

Nonetheless I tried both and neither fixed it. The first one caused the menu icon to disappear completely and the second one had the menu icon but still wouldn’t start electrum.
Now that I think of it, could it be somehow caused by the fact that my whonix workstation is not a fresh install, but an upgraded one from whonix 14? I remember reading something on the upgrading guide page about desktop files change between whonix 14 and 15.
Are you sure it’s caused by desktop files though? Since typing electrum-appimage into the terminal doesn’t work either.

[Imprint] [Privacy Policy] [Cookie Policy] [Terms of Use] [E-Sign Consent] [DMCA] [Investors] [Priority Support] [Professional Support]