Hardened Malloc - Hardened Memory Allocator

I just tested it and yes it does.

Although, the majority of profiles allow access to /usr/lib which means we don’t have to do anything,

1 Like

Good candidate for upcoming

/etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/base.d

References:

2 Likes

The base abstraction allows access to all of /usr/lib already so I don’t see why it’d be needed for hardened_malloc.

1 Like

I’m testing hardened_malloc globally and there doesn’t actually seem to be much breakage. It might be ok to enable it globally by default on Whonix.

The only thing that seems to be breaking is the Tor Browser for some reason. I’ve narrowed down the issue to .tb/tor-browser/Browser/firefox (not Whonix’s torbrowser script).

This is weird since firefox uses it’s own malloc, mozjemalloc.

2 Likes

Last time I tested it, it broke X Window System. (No GUI come up.)

Done.
RFP: hardened-malloc – hardened memory allocator

Is it worth it? Due to…

This is too early. We shouldn’t be the “only” ones using hardened malloc. Would be much better if some people using Debian testing and/or Debian sid used hardened malloc. So bugs (applications refusing to start) are spotted by others than Whonix people and reported upstream. Whonix cannot be the only ones using it, bumping into issues, working on integration by being the “only” users. “The world doesn’t know about hardened malloc.”

There are zero discussions on debian.org about hardened malloc. “google” search term:

site:debian.org "hardened malloc"

Mozilla.

site:mozilla.org hardened malloc

glibc

site:https://gnu.org hardened malloc

glibc issue tracker:

https://sourceware.org hardened malloc
2 Likes

glibc feature request - consider using Hardened Malloc

2 Likes

debian glibc feature request - consider using hardened malloc (hardened memory allocator)

1 Like

Packaging related enhancements:
Comparing 0.6-1...2.0.1-1 · Kicksecure/hardened_malloc · GitHub

• no longer depend on genmkfile, can be build using dpkg-buildpackage -b or other standard Debian package build tools
    • therefore reset to upstream original Makefile
  • use version number by upstream 2.0
    • the last ocetot 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, 2.0.15 is for packaging changes.
    • the first part 2.0 will only change as upstream releases new releases
2 Likes

glibc-alpha mailing list - consider using Hardened Malloc

1 Like

Some decent conversation starting up I think it would be beneficial to “advertise” the security enhancements hardened_malloc offers. Also raise the issue of cross hardware platform support with Dan Micay because that is one big blocker glibc people have.

2 Likes

Relayed back feedback from glibc to Dan.

2 Likes

I’ve notified upstream about all postings just after these were created and before these got any replies.
Debian packaging · Issue #89 · GrapheneOS/hardened_malloc · GitHub
Not sure that is sufficient.

2 Likes

I asked him about the scudo allocator at risk of igniting a cyber firestorm, but I find his opinions valuable even if a bit crude in presentation sometimes.

2 Likes

Seems to work fine now.

That was only about mozjemalloc, not glibc and even then, it was going off what the guy on the mailing lists said which was then replied to by Daniel.

hardened_malloc has far superior security than other allocators.

He’s talked about scudo before.

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=scudo%20from%3ADanielMicay&src=typd

2 Likes
2 Likes

Not the original intent of this issue but I realised it would help.

HardenedBSD also intends to use hardened_malloc.

https://github.com/HardenedBSD/hardenedBSD/issues/373

2 Likes

Got a reply on the CLIP OS issue:

We looked at hardened_malloc a while ago and are likely to integrate it to CLIP OS (at least to the Core ). As we still have quite important things to accomplish beforehand, we won’t tackle this straightaway but contributions are of course welcome.

Thanks for opening this issue, I’ll leave it open to track related progress.

2 Likes

We can disable hardened_malloc per program by using bubblewrap (or any other namespacing program):

bwrap --dev-bind / / --tmpfs /usr/lib/libhardened_malloc.so program_name

This makes the /usr/lib/libhardened_malloc.so directory an empty tmpfs without the hardened_malloc library so it isn’t preloaded:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libhardened_malloc.so/libhardened_malloc.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

This can be verified with cat /proc/self/maps. You’ll see /usr/lib/libhardened_malloc.so/libhardened_malloc.so in the output without bubblewrap and it’ll be missing with bubblewrap.

So if we have any issues with programs, we can just use bubblewrap.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like