[graphical gui] Whonix Setup Wizard / Anon Connection Wizard - Technical Discussion

Yes, it will be. But should it? I am unsure about that.

Perhaps some users would get annoyed by having it pop up every time? On the other hand, without enabled Tor, the gateway is pretty useless anyhow.[/quote]
Yes. So the user would have to run whonix-setup-wizard, anyhow (or try to correct the problem manually, for advanced users). So, it’s may be better to start it at boot, as a reminder that Whonix-Gateway is useless.

I think for consistency it would be best to create whonixsetup.done on gateway and workstation?
Yes, makes it easier for future re-reading. https://github.com/troubadoour/whonix-setup-wizard/commit/7c8deda88b911987c497050914b23dbc3f082d98

Merged.

This one I find potentially problematic. I guess either it’s a duplicate or it misses the usual making sure, that folder /var/cache/whonix-setup-wizard/status-files exists.

if Common.is_complete: f = open('/var/cache/whonix-setup-wizard/status-files/whonixsetup.done', 'w') f.close()

What about putting

if not os.path.exists('/var/cache/whonix-setup-wizard/status-files'): os.mkdir('/var/cache/whonix-setup-wizard/status-files')
at the beginning of the script? So we could be sure that folder will exist either way and only need to run it once and for all.

Put the folder check in class “common” (the first one interpreted) and added “whonixsetup.done” check before writing it (2 commits).

In workstation, when running whonix-setup-wizard (after first boot), it was dispaying a blank page (the disclaimer pages text is not loaded). In the last commit, the wizard exits if “show_disclaimer” is false. The setup option no longer available, the user can run the repository wizard though.

The setup option no longer available, the user can run the repository wizard though.
This is problematic, see: [code]kdesudo whonix-setup-wizard[/code] [code]usage: whonix-setup-wizard [-h] {setup,repository,locale_settings} whonix-setup-wizard: error: too few arguments[/code]

But if they run “setup”, then nothing happens.

There is also a bug, because when file /var/cache/whonix-setup-wizard/status-files/disclaimer.skip exists, repository wizard will not be started. Also whonixcheck would not be run at the end. Maybe rather than eliminating “setup” as long we don’t have much content, let’s use the whonixcheck page in meanwhile?

added whonix-setup-wizard repository start menu item:
https://github.com/Whonix/whonix-setup-wizard/commit/9b19ca736fea17f4c08be1b8db2660d9a71d3ba4

Merged.

[quote=“Patrick, post:184, topic:650”]This is problematic, see:

kdesudo whonix-setup-wizard

usage: whonix-setup-wizard [-h] {setup,repository,locale_settings} whonix-setup-wizard: error: too few arguments

But if they run “setup”, then nothing happens.[/quote]
Agreed, it’s not very consistent. In finish page only if all status files exist · troubadoour/whonix-setup-wizard@e59e6ee · GitHub, if all the status files exist, the wizard shows only the finish page, and whonixcheck is run. We could display a new page (“Whonix Setup was completed, you can run Whonix Repository …”) without running whonixcheck.

There is also a bug, because when file /var/cache/whonix-setup-wizard/status-files/disclaimer.skip exists, repository wizard will not be started. Also whonixcheck would not be run at the end. Maybe rather than eliminating "setup" as long we don't have much content, let's use the whonixcheck page in meanwhile?
I cannot reproduce that, whatever the combination of status files.

Merged.

All sorted out! :slight_smile:

use distutils.spawn.find_executable instead of hardcoding paths for startup wrappers:
https://github.com/Whonix/whonix-setup-wizard/commit/a9a0c091ec95b0f27ab3da72a249b156188029be

instead of checking for anon base files folder, check for anon base marker files:
https://github.com/Whonix/whonix-setup-wizard/commit/76adf69c1dac839db439cf18b0ad5b171d6c79ae

man pages:

The wizard was not resizing properly alter the disclaimer pages (connection page and following pages taking the whole screen height).

Was due to VirtualBox default size not giving enough available space to the disclaimer pages (until now, it was tested only in full screen mode).

Fixed in fix resizing issue · troubadoour/whonix-setup-wizard@1378352 · GitHub

Merged.

typo:
https://github.com/Whonix/whonix-setup-wizard/commit/bd6952502259517defea9197e1cab5b5a5cfddb8

implemented 'whonix-setup-wizard quick', which instantly exits 0 if Tor has been enabled [not already been enabled] so the number of Whonix Setup Wizard pages in Qubes can be reduced to 1
https://github.com/Whonix/whonix-setup-wizard/commit/ed586662f54047b48a3557462f439ad2a023b1c5

And other minor commits.

Merged.

Discussion on a Bridge Wizard for Whonix Setup Wizard happening:
https://phabricator.whonix.org/T90#6814

Yes, seen that. A question: where do we keep the development discussion? Here in “Whonix Setup Wizard” or in Phabricator “Whonix Tor Controller”?

I don’t have a strong opinion about that. I don’t mind either way.

In this case, I was just cross posting it. To notify the public that something is going on. I thought if someone cares strongly enough for it, they’d join phabricator.

Forum:

• more people reading
  • more people sharing thoughts
  • threads fall down getting ignored
  • threads get long
  • stuff can be forgotten if no ticket exists

Phabricator:

• nothing gets forgotten if properly tagged (by release milestone for next release or just by application “for some day some contribution”
  • not so much feedback
  • less wasting time on debating to no avail (aka “I am an expert user, I need the bikeshed to be blue, I need this extra debug info” and so forth but not contributing any actual research or code)

In an ideal world, everything would share the same data base and just provide different interfaces into it. (I wrote a bit about that dream here News - Whonix Forum)

In this case, after talking to an actual UI designer (Brennan Novak), I was quite sure that it’s best to re-implement exactly how tor-launcher is looking. Therefore continued on phabricator. Better than having all the advanced users try to reinvent something that mortals understand.

Your master branch is looking quite strange.

git diff -C --stat origin/master troubadoour/master 
changelog.upstream | 24 ++++++++++++++++++++++++ debian/changelog | 6 ++++++ usr/share/translations/whonixcheck_apt_repository.yaml | 16 ---------------- usr/share/translations/whonixcheck_control_port_filter.yaml | 9 --------- usr/share/translations/whonixcheck_hostname.yaml | 31 ------------------------------- 5 files changed, 30 insertions(+), 56 deletions(-)

[hr]

Please reset. I am not the biggest git crack, but the following is how I’d do it. Should work.

git checkout master
git reset origin/master 
Unstaged changes after reset: M changelog.upstream M debian/changelog
git clean -df
Removing usr/share/translations/whonixcheck_apt_repository.yaml Removing usr/share/translations/whonixcheck_control_port_filter.yaml Removing usr/share/translations/whonixcheck_hostname.yaml
git status
Changes not staged for commit: (use "git add ..." to update what will be committed) (use "git checkout -- ..." to discard changes in working directory)
    modified:   changelog.upstream
    modified:   debian/changelog

no changes added to commit (use “git add” and/or “git commit -a”)

git reset --hard
HEAD is now at 47074cd bumped changelog version
git diff --stat origin/master

Need to git push force.

Alternatively I could merge your changes and revert.

Please rebase tor-launcher-clone on origin/master. This removes superfluous content from the “git diff --stat”.

(Have a backup [git branch] in case git messes up something.)

There wlll be more leftovers.

git diff --stat master etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.bin.obfsproxy | 4 + etc/bridges/default.json | 26 +++++ usr/share/pyshared/whonix_setup_wizard/whonix_setup_wizard.py | 699 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------- usr/share/translations/whonix_setup.yaml | 8 +- usr/share/translations/whonixcheck_apt_repository.yaml | 16 +++ usr/share/translations/whonixcheck_control_port_filter.yaml | 9 ++ usr/share/translations/whonixcheck_hostname.yaml | 31 +++++

Not sure how to best get rid of them. Perhaps just delete and commit. Or “git log filename”, then revert.